Craftsman Chainsaw oiler and fuel cap

Old 11-04-05, 12:05 PM
sschulte
Visiting Guest
Craftsman Chainsaw oiler and fuel cap

I have a Craftsman chainsaw 358.353662 that my dad has had for probably close to 20 years. I am working on this saw to get it back in operating condition. I noticed that the fuel cap is leaking some gas out of the vent hole. I actually notice this after I shut the saw off and I can hear air escaping and gas is bubbling up through the hole. It is enough to puddle up on top of the cap and drip some onto the saw. Is this normal? I am assuming it's not.

Also, how can I tell or test to see if the chain oiler is working correctly. I have suspicions it is not because after I make some test cuts the bar and chain are still pretty much dry. I have a newer Craftsman chain saw that I can actually sometimes see the oil flying off the chain as it spins.

Thanks for any advise.

Old 11-04-05, 06:27 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
quite often theause of your escaping gas is boiling in the tank..caused by the flywheeel screen being plugged with fine sawdust and preventing the flywheel from forcing air to cool the saw...could also be plugged up where oil comes out...also i think i read where some of these saws had some sort of worm gear feeding the bar oil...it may be worn..and itmay also(ike my old homlite) have an adjustment screw to regulate the flow of bar oil

Old 11-05-05, 06:10 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It is not at all uncommon for these fuel caps to leak, even when new. They have what is called a duckbill valve as a breather incorporated into the cap and they are not the best set-up. I suggest simply releasing the cap of pressure when you're done working and leaving it cracked open for enough time that the engine can cool down. Gas expands very easily and this fuel tank is not insulated well from the heat of the engine. Opening the cap enough for air to escape and allowing time for the engine to cool will take care of your trouble. As for the oiler, this too is notorious for failure but you want to remove the chain and bar and run the saw and watch at part throttle and look for oil to ooze out the port hole (near the bar mount studs). If so, then you likely have sawdust build-up in the bar groove and this needs to be cleaned out. If not, then you likely need to replace the oil pump assembly.

Old 11-07-05, 06:11 PM
sschulte
Visiting Guest
I removed the bar and watched the oil port at throttle. There is no oil coming out from what I can see. So I guess I will try replacing the oil pump assembly. Is this located directly behind the plate that gives access to the oil tank? I removed that plate and there is a black piece that the oil line attaches to and houses the oil filter. Is that the oil pump assembly? Should I replace the oil line too?

Old 11-08-05, 02:54 AM
Yes to all, and replace the pick-up at the end of the hose as well.

Old 11-08-05, 08:48 AM
sschulte
Visiting Guest
The pick-up at the end of the oil hole that you mention, is that also known as the check valve? Also, can I use fuel line for the oil hose?

Old 11-08-05, 02:46 PM
I don't recall if that pick-up has a check valve incorporated or not, but it's not likely. As for the line, you'll want to use a thick walled line so that it doesn't collapse under vacuum. I've had good luck with Tygon line I'll say and this is a fuel line.

Old 11-10-05, 12:07 PM
sschulte
Visiting Guest
Craftsman Chainsaw oiler

Actually I did some research and I found that this saw does have a check valve that lets pressure into the oil tank which operates the oil pump. This is not a gear operated pump. With this known, should I also replace the check valve in addition to the pump? I hate to replace unnecessary parts since these are not the cheapest...around $12 for the pump and $6 for the check valve.

Old 11-21-05, 06:00 AM
tafallon
Visiting Guest
Craftsman Chainsaw fuel cap

I have had similar issues with my 358.352180 chainsaw, issues with the fuel leaking. The cause was from the fuel cap. Once replaced, no more leak. To purchase a new fuel cap, visit www3.sears.com and enter your model number. Once in, Select HOUSING ASSEMBLY. Then select FUEL CAP ASS'Y, Part Number 23808.

You can also view the chainsaw diagram for each section noted on the website. Pretty helpful if you don't have the owners guide readily available.

I've ordered parts from Sears for all my equipment. The parts come pretty quick. Good luck!

The other problem I have with my chainsaw is that the bar chain oil leaks when not in use. I've replaced the cap, but still leaking. I've taken the darn thing apart to find out the problem, can't figure it out. Sears took the piece of junk back and also could not determine the problem. (I honestly don't think they are competent enough to resolve this problem.) What do I do? I don't know.

Last edited by tafallon; 11-21-05 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-21-05, 10:52 PM
S
some of those chainsaws had an oil leak problem due to syphoning. I don't know if replacing the check valve solved the problem. Some of them also would force the oil out when you stored it in a heated garage and would not do that when stored in a cold building. Expansion?? Never did figure it out as it was never considered a big problem here in the frozen north. If you talk to loggers, they will say: 'never saw a chainsaw of any type that didn't leak oil'

Old 11-21-05, 10:55 PM
S
I store mine in a case,on it's side with the bar up--It doesn't leak that way.

Old 08-17-11, 10:18 AM
Anyone know where to find a pump assembly for Craftsman model 316.350840. Made by MTD. 18 in 55cc. Cant find the part available.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: