tecumseh 5hp carb

Old 11-06-05, 09:14 AM
generalsecord
Visiting Guest
tecumseh 5hp carb

i just rebuilt the carb on my snower blower replaced every thing,now it keeps flooding out i have reset the float to its level position and every thing else the float wont shut off need help.
thanks george

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-05, 09:51 AM
(1)There is a rubber seat under the needle--if you blew air into it to clean it you may have forced it out. (2) Shake the float and listen for liquid inside it--it may be leaking and full of gas. Those are two common problems.

S/T

Old 11-07-05, 03:50 AM
generalsecord
Visiting Guest
5hp tecumseh

the rubber seat is new and is pressed in correctly,and the float is new.any more suggestions
thanks george

Old 11-07-05, 03:05 PM
You say you replaced the seat. Are you absolutely certain the old one was removed? Are you certain the seat was installed correctly and squarely? Groove-side in first? Even though the float is new, does it have fuel in it? If all the answers to these are positive then you may have a score mark in the seat bore. How did you remove the old seat? With a pick and might possibly have acratched the bore? Such scratch mark will allow fuel to pass by the seat on the outside of it and the only fix would be a new carburetor.

Old 11-07-05, 06:27 PM
simply 725
Visiting Guest
you may want to check the float needle ,its very easy for that to slip out of position during reassembly.

Old 11-09-05, 04:45 AM
generalsecord
Visiting Guest
5hp tecumseh

ok i checked every thing, it is all positive .no scrachs one thing i did notice that the primer line that i put on was too long i shortened that and it quit leaking for now anybody know where i may purchase a working carb for this for a backup.its going to snow in michigan and i want to be prepared for the big one
thanks
george

Old 11-09-05, 07:59 AM
Take your engines' model and spec numbers to your local Tecumseh dealer and they'll set you up with a new carburetor. BTW, I've never heard of too long of a primer line causing a leakage problem and I've worked on thousands of snow carbs in my years but hopefully this is in fact your trouble and I'll have one more oddity to add to my mental service book.

Old 11-09-05, 08:38 AM
generalsecord
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up 5hp tecumseh

ok i will thanks for the good advice.iam going out to the garage in a little while and see if its still not leaking.i will let you know in a little while.would an auto parts place like napa have that carb?
thanks
george

Old 11-09-05, 09:58 AM
simply 725
Visiting Guest
Napa wouldn't be your best bet,if you don't have a local mower shop near you ,you can get a new carb online from Jacks small engines [jackssmallengines.com] ,i gave them all the #s they needed and they sent me the carb in a couple of days.wasn't cheap though.

Old 11-09-05, 10:13 AM
generalsecord
Visiting Guest
5hp tecumseh

ok thanks i will check around

Old 11-14-05, 10:42 AM
generalsecord
Visiting Guest
Unhappy tecumseh 5hp

ok i got gas squirting out of the over flow tine hole under the choke plate.also it is spraying out of the primer bulb.every thing is new and seated correctlyper the manual.i took the old seat out of the float needle area with a wood screw and put the new one in with the grove end down just like it says in the book need help gas is leaking all over the garage thanks
george

Old 11-14-05, 11:40 AM
it sounds to me like the float has a hole in it, that has filled it with gas, which is causing the needle valve to stay open and flood,

take off the float cover and the float, and shake it. if you hear stuff squishing around, then gas is inside and you need a new float.

Old 11-14-05, 02:41 PM
generalsecord
Visiting Guest
Unhappy tecumseh 5hp

ok james did that took off the cover removed the float no leak.that was a new float i put in.question is there an adjustment that has to be done on the float needle.i know the float has to be level
thanks
george

Old 11-14-05, 02:47 PM
Tecumseh has a gauge for measuring the proper "level" but you likely don't have one. So, with the carburetor upsidedown the float will be slightly below parallel with the carb body. If you have an 11/64" drill bit, place this between the body and the float (opposite the hinge pin) and the float should just touch it. With your problem, the float would have to be touching the body in order to leak, if it all, that is.

Old 11-14-05, 02:57 PM
generalsecord
Visiting Guest
Unhappy tecumseh 5hp

yes i did that with the drill bit,are there different floats for that carb,or did i buy the wrong over haul kit?what do the welch plugs have to do with the carb
thanks
george

Old 11-16-05, 01:10 AM
I don't know if this will work with your carb.
I would get a clean hose that fits your fuel inlet.
invert the carb with the float assembled blow lightly into the hose and see if the seat leaks.
if you must, place the carb in water and try the carb in both directions.

Old 11-16-05, 03:01 AM
generalsecord
Visiting Guest
tecumseh 5hp

ok i will give it a try thanks