Tecumseh 5hp Snowblower Problems Please help!

Old 11-07-05, 06:43 AM
fanbladeus
Visiting Guest
Tecumseh 5hp Snowblower Problems Please help!

This snow blower is driving me absolutely nuts. Its a 2-stroke 5 horse tecumseh. It will not start, sputter or anything. It is getting a spark and i just rebuilt the carb to see if that would help correct it because it was flooding before. Its only a couple of years old and hasn't logged very many hours. Is it possible that the rings are shot? So far I have replaced the magneto, rebuilt the carb, checked the flywheel shear pin, everything is good! Putting my thumb over the spark plug hole and cranking it over, I can feel the piston compress. I currently do not have a compression tester. I have seen online that rings are fairly cheap ~$12. This this would be worth the work or am I missing something easier? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-05, 02:56 PM
The rings could certainly be toast as well as the piston and cylinder and anything internal. Being a 2-stroke you will want to take a peek at the piston, cylinder bore and rings. Remove the exhaust pipe from the cylinder and this will give you a decent view of such. While there, check to be sure you don't have excessive carbon build-up in the exhaust port. Check this out and post back with your findings. They should be nice and shiny, no scuffing or scratches.

Old 11-07-05, 03:01 PM
fanbladeus
Visiting Guest
Bad compression

Ok, I broke down and spent the $8 for a compression tester. Mind you this is the first time I've used one but according to the manual, the max PSI is a bit of 50 PSI. Thats where the problem lies I would suppose. Now comes the question I'm sure you have all heard before. How can I tell if a set of rings will take care of me or if I have to get over sized ones and bore it over? I know that I can get rings for about 12 bucks. I've never replaced rings before I could use some input in that procedure. I've already dropped some bucks on this thing and really want to get her going.

Thanks for all your input.

--Joe

Old 11-07-05, 03:08 PM
Tecumseh doesn't have oversized rings for this engine and again, remove the exhaust from the engine and have a look.

Old 11-07-05, 06:35 PM
fanbladeus
Visiting Guest
Ring Replacement Procedure?

Ok,
The piston looks clean and shiny. I ordered a set of rings and they should be here shortly. What is the procedure for replacing them? Do I have to disassemble the whole engine? I'm kinda a newbie at this so please lend all the info you can. Thanks a ton.

--Joe

Old 11-07-05, 07:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
From my read of your origional post, it appears that it was running, but flooding. You rebuilt the carb and now it doesn't run. You need three things for it to run. Air, spark, and fuel. You say that you have spark and you should be getting air. That leaves fuel. Try spraying a little starting fluid into the throat of the carb and see if it briefly runs. If it does, you may need to check your rebuild job and needle valve adjustments.

Old 11-07-05, 08:38 PM
fanbladeus
Visiting Guest
Misleading Post

Actually when I took on the project, it wasn't running. From all past experiences so long as I was getting spark, the carb was the issue. So I monkeyed with the carb out in 10 degree weather. My fingers weren't so nimble and I ended up losing the hinge pin for the float. Replacing it with a filed down finishing nail didnt exactly work. It flooded like mad, so I bought a rebuild kit and decided to do the whole thing so long as I had the parts. My guess is that the rings were toast from the get go.

Any help with a procedure to replace the rings? Is 50 PSI really low for a tecumseh 5 hp HSK850?

Thanks a ton,
Joe

Old 11-08-05, 02:51 AM
50 is a low number for this engine. As for replacing the rings, this isn't a bad job to do...coming from a mechanic, that is. Ideally, you would like to remove the engine from the chassis but it can be done without doing so. There are four bolts holding the sump onto the cylinder block. Removing such will then allow you to remove the crank/rod/piston assy. I'd suggest buying a Tecumseh manual for good tear-down instructions, part number 694988.