woodsplitter hydraulics problem

Old 11-08-05, 12:28 PM
peteetah
Visiting Guest
woodsplitter hydraulics problem

I have just welded up a wood splitter. fired her up, and the pump doesn't seem to be pumping hydraulic fluid. I called the pump manufacturer, and they blamed mis - matching manufacturer parts. He gave me no help on my problem. I have an 8hp Tecumseh motor (3600 rpm), an 11gpm pump(3700 rpm max) and a 2500 psi logsplitter detent valve. I have a 5 gallon fluid tank, and a 24" long stroke, 4" diameter hydraulic cylinder. Do I have to prime the pump, valve, and cylinder. Does the valve have to be mounted flat, or does it make any difference? (mine is mounted vertically) Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-05, 12:51 PM
peteetah
Visiting Guest
I just realized that I mounted the pump with a pulley running below the pump. This would mean that the pump would be driven backwards (counter clockwise) . I will cut the bracket I fabricated and remount the pump. Will let you know if this works

Old 11-09-05, 08:47 AM
peteetah
Visiting Guest
After re - mounting the pump, I still don't have pressure, although fluid seems to be getting to the valve, as I had a small leak. Could I have ruined the pump running it backwards for a bit? The cylinder ram was extended from its inward position, and is now in this position. Should it have been shoved back in, or shouldn't this make a difference, given the detent valve?

Search this Thread