craftsman 16hp riding mower

Old 11-10-05, 06:29 AM
craftsman 16hp riding mower

Hello all. I am beating myself up over my rider because it quit on me about a week ago. I didn't hear the blade hit anything, nor did I see anything under the mower. My mower just stalled out while cutting. I tore the top end down to find a broken shear pin to the flywheel. Replaced pin. Now I have spark but no compression. I take very good care of this thing and this is why I don't understand what it could be. I did an oil change about 30 hours back and the oil still appears clean. I just replaced the air, and fuel filters recently and a new spark plug now. The only response I have gotten from the engine was a backfire... Please help me in any way!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-05, 02:49 PM
i'm sure you put the key in right, how are you checking compression? is it a ohv or side valve?

Old 11-10-05, 07:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
single cylinder engine?

Old 11-11-05, 08:46 PM
check the flywheel key again--I'm betting it sheared again because it was too loose. Those things have to be VERY tight or they can shear as soon as you turn the engine and it fires once. Hope this cures your problem--seems most logical to me.

Mike

Old 11-14-05, 08:16 AM
Craftsman 16hp Rider

Thanks for the info guys. The engine is an ohv and it is a single valve. In complete tear down, I have discovered a broken connecting rod. It blows my mind because the oil level was right as rain. So anyhow, that is where I am. I may just order another oil governer in case because it either failed, or just from the mower riding on a slght incline over time starved the parts from oil and weakened them. I can't come up with any other explanation. Thanks again for your time!

Old 11-14-05, 10:23 AM
did you smell the oil for any gas smell? other then that, if the rod didn't tear up anything when it broke, you won't need another governor/oil slinger, unless it went running out of control, or the teeth are stripped. check the teeth, could have very well stripped, and wouldn't sling oil. and as long as it wasn't a really steep hill, it wouldn't have weakened parts, but if it was steep, starved em of oil for proper lubrication.

Old 11-21-05, 08:29 AM
worth repairing???

Okay, I have found the culprits to my problem. It definately is a broken connecting rod. The journal on the shaft is chipped horribly so I do have to replace the shaft to. The only thing is that it had 1.5 qts. of oil in it. I understand if fuel is getting into the case, it could be the problem. It is going to cost me roughly 200.00 for the parts. Is this going to be worth my money and effort to rebuild this engine, or is this same thing going to happen down the road? Hopefully when I get a look at the carb, it just needs a cleaning. Just not sure if it is worth the hassle.

Old 11-21-05, 05:55 PM
yeah its worth it, if your doing it...... as for things to check, cam, bore, piston, rings.......etc. any more damage that could've happened. the crank is chipped? sure it may not be alluminum from the rod?