Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

lawn sweeper question

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

11-11-05, 06:55 PM   #1  
lawn sweeper question

I have one of those pull behind craftsman lawn sweepers.. it works great if the lawn is perfectly dry, but not worth a darn if the slightest bit of moisture on the grass... The wheels/tires just slide along... if you raise the brushes enough to let the wheels turn, you only get half the grass sweeping capability.. Here's the question.. has anyone out there taken the gears out of the wheel drive system and placed a nice little briggs engine with a pully on one of these sweepers.. a gas powered sweeper, you could put the brushes down and let the briggs spin'r dry or wet... might even sweep you driveway and street out front.. ha... anyway, living in the Pacific NW, I thought I'd get a little more use out of it.. the grass catchers for mowers just doesn't work up here because the tube gets jammed with wet grass and you spend half the day unpacking green gobs from the thing.. thanks...

Sponsored Links

11-11-05, 07:43 PM   #2  
Sounds like a great idea. I would like to hear from you if you do it. I'm an avid designer of home-made equipment because it always works better than that Asian built stuff. Please feel free to let me help if I can. Been a Sears L and G tech for 11 years now in Prince George, BC. (wet summers and winters usually)

Mike

11-12-05, 04:06 AM   #3  
wouldn't it be easier to to add spikes to the tires for traction ?

Crom

11-12-05, 08:49 AM   #4  
believe it or not.. I did... I used square drive screws and left them sticking out an inch.. works somewhat.. but I don't think it would be as good as a powered unit.. thought about longer ones so I could aeriate at the same time, then I'd be into something marketable?... ha... a sweeperator motivator... ha ha... or vice versa...

NY

11-12-05, 08:59 AM   #5  
I have one and they periodically need the wheel bearing area as well as the sweeper bearing area cleaned out of debris build-up.

11-13-05, 05:02 PM   #6  
thats a never ending story up here.. you'd have to literally take it apart and clean it everytime you used it.. I do spray wash my equipment everytime I use any of it, but lubricating those wheels is just a glue for all this stuff up here to stick to.. and I really like the idea of a powered unit.. if it don't spin, put a larger engine on it..

PA

11-14-05, 07:29 AM   #7  
What about adding wheel weights to increase traction? Just an idea... I've used a sweeper for many years, and occassionally experience the same thing, but not often enough to do anything about it.

11-14-05, 08:30 AM   #8  
been there, done that.. put cinder blocks up on the unit to hold it to the ground.. Pacific NW grass in the spring and fall is "mossy" or "slimy" as I call it.. IF and WHEN you finally get a good mow on your lawn, picking the stuff up is a trick.. it balls up, flattens out if you run over it, sticks to your tires half the time, increasing the diameter of your tire and literally raising your deck that much higher off the ground... you HAVE to wash your mower and equipment EVERY time you use it, or this stuff turns to cement... I'm really lucky I don't have any slope to my property.. I'd probably slide to the bottom and it would be next summer before I could get my lawn tractor back..

PA

11-15-05, 08:15 AM   #9  
From your description, I'd be tempted to plant ferns and moss, and just let it grow naturally. A lush flat green lawn is a relatively modern man made idea, that works well in some parts of the country and is a terrible choice in others. Ever see pics of a green lawn around someone's house in the Arizona desert? Looks weird. Perhaps the fern and moss idea might be a better choice for you instead of the struggle to maintain a conventional lawn. Just tossing out an idea.

11-15-05, 08:19 AM   #10  
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

CANADA

11-15-05, 04:18 PM   #11  
and if you remember the 60's.....you weren't really there!!

11-16-05, 08:13 PM   #12  
yeah, I remember the 50's and the 60's.. and I WAS there!...

Search this Thread