B&s 15.5hp 28n707 in Sears Tractors

Old 11-11-05, 08:24 PM
B&s 15.5hp 28n707 in Sears Tractors

Sears sold a lot of tractors with this motor which seized. This was due to lack of oil on the main PTO brg.
Briggs was informed a few years before that customers were complaining about excessive engine knock which briggs found to be from the PTO main brg.
They decreased the cearance by a small amount (I forget how much) but it was too much for the heat generated and the engines seized.
Briggs informed us at Sears to replace the short block because they had again increased the tolerance of that bearing and customers would have to live with the engine noise..
I repaired many of these engines rather than throwing them out. By drilling the oil gallery that feeds the PTO brg to a larger size, the problem is elliminated. I drilled one sixteenth inch bigger diameter. I repaired probably in the neighborhood of 20 of these engines using this procedure; most of them still running. Once they seized, I broke it loose, removed the sump, drilled the gallery, cleaned the crank and rod brg and re-assembled with the same gaskets and all. NEVER had a come-back. And that is one of the reasons I was nicknamed 'supertech'.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-05, 08:27 PM
one big mistake in the previous post. Drill one eigth of an inch bigger.

Mike again.

Search this Thread