Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro 8-32 riding mower pullstring works but not catching, also loss of motion

Visiting Guest

11-12-05, 06:53 PM   #1  
unhandyman
Toro 8-32 riding mower pullstring works but not catching, also loss of motion

Hi- Inherited the above approx 20 year old riding mower. B&S 8 HP "Magentron" engine. Was working fine all summer until today.

2 problems - (1) When I pull the starter cord, it pulls out, and retracts fully, but there is no "friction" or "resistance" - like there's nothing engaged to actually start the mower. I tried to unscrew the top grill which protects the pull cord, but snapped the first bolt so now there are only <3> holding it down...

I don't think it's the starter itself though. I have a battery/electric start, so I jumped it from my car, and the mower started - I was thrilled, mowed part of the yard, then (2) the mower stopped moving in forward or reverse - I think the clutch went(??) It has 6 forward speeds and 1 reverse, and a 6 level mowing deck. I heard a "boing" then all motion stopped - but the mowing deck was still spinning.

Any idea on either problem? The repair shops are all working on snowblowers now, and no one will work on lawnmowers (but there are still a lot of leaves to clean up -- 3 acre yard !!)

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links

11-12-05, 09:20 PM   #2  
grill? the mesh screen? the shroud is or should be held on by 4 bolts have one myself, except older with a magnetron conversion kit, only electric start though. magnetron was the new ignition coil they came out with, uses no points. its old enough to use a starter clutch. try to take the shroud off, if the starter clutch doesn't catch, probablly rusted up or the little balls inside are all worn out, or the pulley that goes onto the top of the clutch, most likely plastic, has worn out, not holding onto the clutch.......

now for the "boing" only way to check it out is to get underneath and check or out, having someone to pushdown the clutch peddle, seeing if the pulley, which is all it is, lets tension off the drive belt is doing its job, pulley is on good, not off centered or wobbly, spins alright with clutch depressed, and belt is still in one peice, then move onto the transmission, manual? transaxle? put it up on a jackstand, cynderblock, whatever to take the tires off the ground, put it in gear, leave the clutch depressed, spin one tire in every gear, and see if the pulley on top of the tranny moves, and the other tire should move as well.

as for it having electric start...... you can get a new lawn and garden battery for it. and if the mower doesn't charge the battery via stator under the flywheel. you can always leave a trickle charger on it.

Visiting Guest

11-15-05, 08:15 PM   #3  
unhandyman
Thanks v8driver --

Was a raking fool fo t he past 3 days getting my yard taken care of the old fashion way...just finished tonight...

I checked all your recommendations, but not sure what exactly I was looking for -- I got under the unit, the pulley seemed to be fine, when the gears were engaged, the wheels moved freely... One thing I noticed was that when the mower was still running, when the mower moved, there was a little silver colored "disk" under the seat - which was connected to a box where the gear shift lever was connected - so I thought it might be part of the transmission - perhaps some sort of electrical switch?? Irrespective, it didn't seem strong enough to actually pull the mower. The chain that loops from what I believe is the actual transmission and the rear wheels never turned...so maybe something inside went.

I'll queue it up for the spring service at the shop I guess...Too bad no room to upload pictures to describe...

Truly am

UNHANDYMAN...

:-)

11-16-05, 12:20 AM   #4  
silver disk? kinda sounds like the pulley for the transmission.

Visiting Guest

11-22-05, 07:44 PM   #5  
unhandyman
The silver dfisk is about 2 inches in diameter, and part of some other contraptoin that has wires going to it from the battery. THere are no teeth on the disk, so I didn't think it was a pulley - but again, it spins in one direction if the mower was moving forward and v/v.

Too bad no way to post pictures.

I'd like to try to fix it, but I'll probably go to BN.com and find a book on small engines and see wh at I can - else, with leaves taken care of and snow in teh forecast for the weekend, I think my window of repair is closing fast...

Have a great Tday everyone!

Search this Thread