changing a tire on a snowthrower

Old 11-19-05, 05:45 PM
bikerbabe_mi
Visiting Guest
changing a tire on a snowthrower

I have a new Craftsman 5HP Two-stage thrower that has a flat tire..and I mean off teh rim flat. I can't seem to get enough air in it with my little compressure that you plug in a cigarette lighter to seal it to the rim. How do I take it off so someone else can fix it? I tried the flat side bolt but as I look at the parts page of the manual it's a locking bolt. I try to turn it but the other tire turns too. This is a drive propelled unit. Can anyone help on how to fix the tire or remove it?

Old 11-19-05, 07:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
It sounds like you have a tubeless tire. I don't think you will have much luck with your little compressor. If you can beg, borrow or steal a comressor that has a tank you may have a chance. Support your snowblower so the flat tire is not touching the ground. Wrap a ratchet strap (tie-down strap) around the tire and tighten it. You are trying to squeeze the tread area to make the sidewall push out and touch the rim. Swabbing the rim with a thick soapy water solution may help. Then try to fill the tire with air.

Your snowblower probably has a differential so turning one tire will make the other turn in the opposite direction. If you hold the other tire, you may be able to loosen the nut holding the flat tire. You can also try spraying the nut with WD-40 and let it soak in for 5-10 minutes.

Old 11-19-05, 08:23 PM
bikerbabe_mi
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your quick response.

Great idea with the tie down. Both tires move in the same direction when I try to get the bolt loosened.

Since I can't put this 180 pound machine in the trunk of my car to get the tire fixed...I'll do the begging around the neighborhood. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: