lawn tractor problems

Old 11-14-05, 12:11 PM
lawn tractor problems

I have a 5 year old MTD Lawm Machine with a 14.5 OHV Briggs and Stratton motor...It's been down all year....The last time I used it I heard a loud cluncking noise and the motor would not start again....It would not even turn over I got nothing, No winding of the starter no noise at all.....The year before I replaced a push and tuned it up and it ran fine with the help of this site....I would appreciate any advice on troubleshooting the motor.....Where do I start....Please let me know if you need any other info....Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-05, 08:43 PM
clunking? ok, if that was the case, it kinda sounds internal, possibly connecting rod, can you turn the engine over manually by hand? make sure nothing like the mag. coil is catching the flywheel, the clutch is off, starter gear isn't wedged in the teeth on the ring gear on the flywheel.

Old 11-17-05, 10:25 AM
tractor problems

I tried to turn the engine by hand with no luck...took the starter off and the top of the engine down to the flywheel.....how do I take the flywheel and the heavy metal drum on top of it off....I tried to by spinning the top of the motor..was this correct?...what should my next step be?...I also took off the mag coil.(I think it is the mag coil touching the wheel on top of the flywheel)...Thanks

Old 11-17-05, 10:45 AM
flywheel is what your looking at, probablly has a plastic fan, instead of the older ones that used fan blades made right into the flywheel, anyway, take the nut off the top of the flywheel, you can get a puller to be safer, but you can spin the flywheel around, tapping it with a little force underneath, unless it has a plastic ring gear. puller would be safer. mag coil has the spark plug wire coming out of it. you'll have to take the little mesh screen guard off as well.

Old 11-17-05, 12:19 PM
Thanks...I'm down to the flywheel and there is a plastic gear ring...I'l try to find a puller....What will my next move be? Thanks

Old 11-17-05, 09:25 PM
well, to check the internals, you'll have to remove the engine, of course drain it of oil, flip it over, take the pulley stack off, should have a bolt way down in the hole, take the oil sump off, and check for damage. of course your gonna need a new sump gasket if its saveable.

Old 11-18-05, 07:14 AM
thanks....pulled the motor and just by carrying it to my bench I heard rattling...not a good sign...before I pulled the engine i checked the the pushrods to see if there was any damage...everything looked good...I know I'm geting a head of my self but what is the clearance and how do I set the valves...I did it two years ago when I replaced a push rod and forgot the procedure...Thanks I'll keep you posted....

Old 11-18-05, 11:56 AM
the owners manual, via the briggs website, just enter the model number for the engines owners manual, would have the clearances... as for adjusting. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=241114

Old 11-23-05, 11:24 AM
Found the piston rod in about 7 peices...the bore and piston looked fine....the cam shaft seat is cracked and the cam shaft does not fit tight...it wobbles....do you think the engine is shot...anyway to repair?...

Thanks

Old 11-23-05, 07:33 PM
cracked......about how badly? does sound shot.

Old 11-24-05, 12:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The boss in the block for the cam is cracked? If so, junk it, it won't hold up to a repair.

Old 11-24-05, 08:42 AM
thanks...any idea where to pick up a new or rebuilt motor?

Old 11-24-05, 01:24 PM
well there's e bay, and if you search google, lots of online ordering sites for engines, or a small engine shop around can get you what you need. could short block it

Search this Thread