14.5 b & s starting problems

Old 11-14-05, 04:05 PM
14.5 b & s starting problems

My mower would not start. I hooked it to my truck and still would not start. attached cable to starter, same thing. motor would turn but very slow. took off the starter and attacted power and it turned fine but dont know if a load would make a difference. I can spin fly with my hand but not to easy. motor turned fine with plug out. may have jumped the gun but I bought a starter for it. now with just a little hesitation at the beginning it will start. Sometimes when I try to start it just clicks at first and then later starts. I did locate the solenoid and while holding the key tapped it and it started. Do I have a bad solenoid if so how much will this cost me? Is it likely that both starter and solenoid gone bad at the same time? all cable are tight on everything. Can anyone give me a suggestion? My 8 year old already suggested pushing it in the fire, so that one is taken. anymore suggestions? ol yea I working on my second battery this year.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-05, 05:02 PM
huntingbubba89
Visiting Guest
Yea i would say that your solenoid is getting old. 14.5 hp solenoid will run you anywhere between 12 to 18 $. I have the clicking problem sometimes on my 12 hp Briggs but it eventually works, i will replace mine when it finnally dies lol. thats about all i can help you with, bc you did say all connections were secure and tight and especially since you got a new starter. Good Luck

Old 11-14-05, 08:55 PM
yeah, you can pick up a new solenoid, doesn't have to be exacy really, see em at advance auto even

Old 11-15-05, 12:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, you have a bad solenoid. Also, the hesitation you mentioned is likely caused by loose valve clearances. Have you adjusted the valves in the past year or two? If not, it needs to be done and will help starting by a long shot.

Old 11-15-05, 04:02 AM
14.5B&S

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the valves?

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-15-05, 11:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Remove the valve cover, and using a 10mm wrench and a torx driver (T15 or 20, can't remember for sure) adjust the clearance between the valve and rocker arm to .005" with a feeler guage and the engine at top dead center.