Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

12.5 Briggs & Stratton Running Problem

Visiting Guest

11-16-05, 04:10 PM   #1  
huntingbubba89
12.5 Briggs & Stratton Running Problem

Hey guys, a freind of mine has a problem keeping his 12.5 hp Briggs I/C Quite Model runninng. He put a enlarged engine drive pulley on it and it ran fine for about an hour and then out of no where it started choking out or something and finally died. I would have to wait about 30 min for it to crank back up, after i crank it up, it runs fine for about 30 min and does the same thing.(cuts off) Anyone have any advice.

Sponsored Links

11-16-05, 09:39 PM   #2  
does it want to blow black smoke? have you tried any carb adjustments?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-16-05, 11:35 PM   #3  
Does it have spark when it dies? Does the carb drip gas? Try loosening the gas cap, it may have a clogged vent causing a vapor lock.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

11-16-05, 11:55 PM   #4  
Stu
Take a plug reading, if it's black and sooty, it's running too rich. If their is a large amount of carbon deposits, it's using oil. If the plug is either of these, it can prevent spark. For you to be able to wait 30 mins, restart, and run for a further 30 mins, before it cuts out again, leads me to think it,s more ignition than feul system. When it cuts out, remove the plug (wear gloves, it'll be HOT!), and check for spark, make sure to ground the plug properly. If there is no spark, first try a new plug. No spark? Disconnect your stop switch wire from the coil (it could be grounding). Still no spark? Is it magnitron or on points? Either way, you'll need to remove the coil and condensor
(if still on points) and have them tested at your local dealer.

11-17-05, 10:32 AM   #5  
yes, it could be a igniton coil........ if it is, it'll only get worse. if it does happen to use points, they are dirt cheap to try and replace anyway. side valve or ohv?

Visiting Guest

11-19-05, 04:17 PM   #6  
huntingbubba89
no it doesnt blow black smoke, but it does blow blue smoke all the time, i did try adjusting the carb, its a side valve and we took the magneto off of mine 12 hp briggs and put it on his 12.5 hp to see if that was the problem but it wouldnt even crank up

11-19-05, 08:24 PM   #7  
did you gap it right and such? wasn't put on the wrong side? "this side out" out? kill wire was disconnected? well the coil is good, have you tried different plugs? as for blue smoke, rings or breather maybe. you tried the gas cap as well? check the compression.

Search this Thread