B&S Trouble under load

Old 11-17-05, 02:47 PM
icebreaker
Visiting Guest
B&S Trouble under load

I have a B&S 5hp engine (model 130202) that is having problems when put under load. Thus far I have cleaned the carb several times, replaced the diaphram and all gaskets including the head gasket to get it running. My question is really about the adjustment screw on the carb or the possibility of low compression because it is a rather old engine. I've been tinkering with the adjustment screw on the carb and I can get the engine to idle and run with no load, but when it gets a load on it it stalls. I was under the impression that it stalls under a load when the mixture is too lean so I would turn the screw 1/8 a turn at a time to try and make it better but no luck. It also seems to idle very quickly at times and then more slowly and on occasion dies when just idling. Any ideas as to whats wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-05, 09:33 PM
horizontal? make sure the pickup tubes aren't clogged up, or either clogging up. or the screens there aren't missing. as for compression, it would cause poor performance, you can check it with a compression tester. over 100 is good.

Old 11-18-05, 02:56 AM
A compression test is good but a leak-down test will tell you more, if you have a leak-down tester that is. I'm going to guess you have a valve issue. Whether it be a lack of clearance or a pitted valve face. Most likely it will be the exhaust valve to blame but that's not to say the intake couldn't use a close look as well. Post back with the engines' type and code numbers and I can provide part numbers which you may need. It is usually cheaper to replace the valves versus grinding them. Be sure to take a good look at the valve seats and grind them as well, if needed.

Old 11-18-05, 10:41 AM
icebreaker
Visiting Guest
130202 type 4015, and I dont know very much about valves, how do i tell if they're bad?

Old 11-18-05, 12:04 PM
well to tell if they're bad, leak down test, compression tester could also tell, that is if the head gasket is good, gasket to mating surface is flat and clean. you can visually inspect them, for pitting, etc.

Old 11-18-05, 12:14 PM
is the governer spring installed correctly? in an engine off state the throttle should be wide open at the carb.