Tecumseh starter motor

Old 11-17-05, 07:43 PM
ponch
Visiting Guest
Tecumseh starter motor

Hello,
I just received a Noma 4.5hp snowthrower for free. The starter motor does not work. The starter motor is a Tecumseh #590670. When you press the starter button, the pinion gear pulls back like it is going to mesh with the flywheel. However nine times out of ten, it hits the flywheel, and the spring pushes it back along the armature shaft, back to it's original position but it will keep spinning as long as I push on the starter button. Occassionally, it will mesh with the flywheel for about a quarter of a second, and then it will come back out as described above. It does not move the flywheel. The motor is not seized, as I can rotate the flywheel by hand, and I can pull the starting cord easily. Oh, yeah, it does not matter wether or not the key is in the on or off position, it will turn over. Is this something I can fix for cheap, because I looked up the starter motor and the cheapes rebuild I could find was $85.00 and new was about $100.00. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-05, 09:16 PM
battery good? is the starter gear still good? not worn out... as for the ignition switch.....if the key is in the on or off, the starter will keep going. the switch could be bad.

Old 11-18-05, 03:06 AM
V8, that's a 120V starter. ponch, pull the starter off so you can work on it on the bench. You may simply have rust build-up on the armature shaft thereby not allowing the gear to obtain full travel. Otherwise, you may have an issue with the brushes or in a worst case scenario, the armature. Disassembly (actually the reassembly) is a little tricky if you've never done one before but is definitely doable. It helps if you have a second pair of hands for reassembly in order to keep the brushes back enabling you to slip the endcap back over the armature. Common sense will tell you alot when you do disassemble and clean everything. Pay close attention to the brushes and the commutator bars that they mate to (when assembled) and use your nose to smell for any electrical burn on the armature indicating it is no good.

Old 11-18-05, 04:00 PM
ponch
Visiting Guest
Tried it

I took the starter off the engine. When I did, I noticed quite a bit of endplay on the shaft. It would go in and out of the starter about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. I took the end caps off and noticed that the armature also had alot of play when it was between the pole shoes.(I think that is what it is called). I cleaned the shaft and pinion gear. I also used fine sandpaper to clean the copper bars which were black. I also used the sandpaper to clean the iron plates of the armature and the pole shoes, which seemed to have a small amount of rust on them. when everthing was cleaned, I put it back together, and thought everthing was snug, (i.e. shaft), but when I snugged down the bolts, the endplay was back. I put it back and tried starting it, but it did the same thing. Because of the endplay on the shaft, I then pushed the shaft back into the starter so there was no endplay. When I did this before I hit the starter, the pinion would mesh w/ the flywheel and travel all the way to the stop about 75% of the time, but then would then immediately drop out of mesh. Is there anything else I might be able to try? Do you think this was a small amount of progress, or am I just wishful thinking?

Old 11-19-05, 07:58 AM
I think you'd be further ahead replacing the starter. It lists for around $112 at your local Tecumseh dealer.