diaphran carb

Old 11-18-05, 03:31 AM
generalsecord
Visiting Guest
Unhappy diaphran carb

can you replace a float style carb with a diaphran carb.i have a tecumseh 5hp mtd snowblower i was wondering if a diaphran carb would be better and if it would work.if so where can i purchase one
thanks
george

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-05, 08:46 AM
you don't say why you want to switch carbs. i like float bowl carbs in an application that is seasonal. it's easy to drain fuel system and no diaphragm to stiffen up. the switch could require new linkages, brackets, fuel tank, muffler or more. if you can post the engine numbers of what you have and the numbers of an engne with your preffered setup the required parts can be found through Partsmart.

Old 11-18-05, 08:53 AM
i just came across you previous post on this problem. take the complete carb to a shop and have it pressure tested to find the problem.

Old 11-18-05, 10:01 AM
generalsecord
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 5hp tecumseh

i did that. the seat was leaking,they put a new one on and changed the needle plus float last nite put it back on turned the fuel on and it flooded all over the garage floor.that is 3 seats plus 3 needles plus 3 floats and there is no scrach in the seat housing chamber
thanks
george

Old 11-18-05, 12:02 PM
if the needle and seat are good, the float is good, the float level is good, the only thing left is the fuel delivery components or carb parts below the seat. ie cracked float bowl, leaking float nut gasket, fuel line, fuel filter, fuel petcock. clean everything with brakeclean, dry it off, turn on the fuel supply and wait.

Old 11-18-05, 12:40 PM
Stu
Visiting Guest
Just because you've replaced needle and seat 3 times, doesn't mean it's been fixed, test it under pressure, it should hold 6 psi. If it doesn't, it's not fixed.
Try pressure testing (with the bowl off) and track source of leak, by squirting a bit of feul around the carb. If it is coming from the needle, try a little downward pressure on the bowl. If this stops the leak, there's a good chance the seat isn't seated properly, if it doesn't, is their a crack or hole? Is there something obstructing the needle or bowl. Check the elbow that the feul line connects to, on some tecumsehs this is plastic and can come loose or split.
Good luck.
P.S. Alot of mucking around to change to diaphragm carb, as you also need crankcase pressure and vacuum!

Old 11-18-05, 01:38 PM
generalsecord
Visiting Guest
tecumseh 5hp

ok i will try all of the things you mentioned
thanks for all your help i will probely just buy a new carb for the time being.we are getting alot of snow in michigan and iam getting tired of shoveling.thanks have a safe and blessed thanksgiving
george

Old 11-18-05, 07:21 PM
simply 725
Visiting Guest
I had the same problem with a Tecumseh carb on my J.D.826, ,i replaced the carb with a new one,very educational trying to solve these mysteries,but the time comes

Old 11-19-05, 05:28 AM
generalsecord
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up 5hp tecumseh

you are right where did you order one from
thanks
george

Old 11-19-05, 02:28 PM
simply 725
Visiting Guest
I got mine from "www. jackssmallengines.com",i've had good service from them,they have a 1-800 # you can get from the website.

Old 11-28-05, 02:49 PM
generalsecord
Visiting Guest
Smile 5hp tecumseh

got the new carb from jacks works great.thanks for all your help.also i have a s-620 toro and a old craftsman if any body wants them for parts
thanks
george