Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

peerless 205-024C hydro transaxle problems (Murray riding mower)

Visiting Guest

11-19-05, 04:06 PM   #1  
mitchedo
peerless 205-024C hydro transaxle problems (Murray riding mower)

I have a 17hp, 42" Murray riding mower I purchased in 1999. I have a hilly yard, and the hydrostatic transmission never really pulled very good. ...couldn't tow a utility trailer or my Cyclone Rake up the hill. Well, I was using the Cyclone Rake and now the transmission goes in the lower range, but as soon as it gets to the higher gear range, it chatters and stops and the belt smokes. It seems that the transmission is locking up. When it isn't locking up, it'll barely move the mower on flat ground.

Did I kill it by overloading it while towing?

If I replace it, will I kill it again?

Are the manual transmissions any more durable for towing?

Can I repair this transaxle? A new one is $500.

Thanks for any and all advice. I only have a half acre, so a 42" mower is about right for me. However, I need one with a tough transmission. ...and I need it before the snow falls (within a week). I gotta get my leaves done and it takes a week with my hand blower and 10hp shredder. ...takes 3 hours with a Cyclone Rake.

Help!

Doug

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-19-05, 10:51 PM   #2  
It does sound like the tranny may be going bad. You might check to be sure the tensioner/idler pulleys are good and that the brake is not stuck. A hydro is usually the most durable option.

There is usually not much repairing a hydro when they go bad. It's often more expensive to buy the parts than a new unit. You could look for a used one.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread