briggs and stratton

Old 11-25-05, 11:40 AM
sensfan
Visiting Guest
briggs and stratton

Hi, first post here, i purchased and old snowblower for $40 and all that is on the engine is a Briggs and Stratton sticker that says 4 cycle..any idea how to tell what hp this engine is.There are no markings that i can see of on the block and i dont even know what type of blower it is cause there are no markings on the blower itself.I changed the plug and put fresh gas in it and got it running but id like to find out what type engine it is so i can try and get a rebuild kit.Thanks for any help.Id love to post a pic but i guess pictures are not allowed here.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-05, 01:00 PM
Your engine's ID numbers will be on the flywheel blower shroud or the carburetor cover or the cooling fin shrouding. It will be either a 5 or 8 horse engine, being a n older Briggs snow engine and the model number will start out with either a 13 or 19 depending on the HP. Thirteen cubic inch for the 5's and nineteen cubes for the 8's. To find any parts you need, find your local Briggs dealer in the yellow pages under Engines, Gasoline.

Old 11-25-05, 01:30 PM
sensfan
Visiting Guest
awesome

thanks so much, i had to scrape rust away to make it visible but i found this number 190412 0921-01 77092110. Does the 77 indicate 1977? Are these types of small engines worth rebuilding? I have noticed that when on flat ground with no load it zooms along fine but when under load of any weight it needs to be half ass pushed along.If i lift the tires off the ground they will start spinning but when i drop them back on the ground it doesn,t want to go unless i push a bit on it.Any ideas.How are these engines in regard to rebuilding?Lots of questions and id appreciate any help. Thanks.

Old 11-25-05, 04:17 PM
Yes, the engine is a 1977 built on September 21 which likely makes the unit a 1978 model year. The wheel drive slippage is a chassis related issue not engine related but you did not indicate what brand machine it is. Perhaps if we knew this we could help you pinpoint the exact or at least near what trouble you have for the slippage.

Old 11-26-05, 04:46 AM
sensfan
Visiting Guest
Brand

Thanks for the info. The blower has been painted red but through the paint chips i can see that the machine looks to have been all yellow.I cant see any brand markings.There is 5 forward and 2 reverse gears, the handle to rotate the chute is on the left side(standing as if you were operating the machine)under the handle grip and there is a on/off key switch.Not much to go on, hope that helps. Thanks again for reply.