Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowblower clutch frustration

Visiting Guest

11-25-05, 09:54 PM   #1  
DylanSchleicher
Snowblower clutch frustration

I purchased a 1979 Craftsman snowblower model 536.909400 from a garage sale a couple months ago. It was a great bargain, and after a slight tuneup starts with one pull every time. I've been so excited at the thought of not having to use a shovel anymore (and the idea of not killing my back) that I've run the machine about once every 2 weeks in anticipation of the first snowfall. Today was the first decent snowfall since I purchased this great machine. I started it up on 1 pull, but as I pushed down on the clutch handle to engage the auger, the clutch lever was torqued off its mounting. For whatever reason, the clutch cable itself, which has functioned normally during all of my test runs, will not budge at all. I am dumbfounded by what could have caused the cable to be so immobile. In addition, if this condition can be remedied, I discovered that a replacement clutch handle through Sears will run around $85, which is nearly what I paid for the entire unit. If anyone has any ideas as to what caused the problem or where secondhand parts could be found, I'm all ears.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-27-05, 12:19 AM   #2  
Sounds like the cable may have stuck. Try disconnecting the cable from both ends and see if it works back and forth. If not, you'll need to replace it. As for the handle, you might try taking it by a machine shop and have them weld it back together.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread