Cheese or Whoever, Tranny Question

Old 11-28-05, 01:26 PM
huntingbubba89
Visiting Guest
Cheese or Whoever, Tranny Question

Hey Cheese or Anyone Else
i found out the problem with my transmission skipping. When i went to pull the top cover off of the transmission, i was pulling it off by the input shaft and it slide right out. I looked at my bearings and they looked in good condition, they were all there and in position. but i have no clue why the shaft slid right out. Do you think i should buy a new shaft??? Whats wrong with it?? And why i have the tranny apart im thinkin about changing my gear ratio. Being i have a variable speed clutch, my tranny only has a total of 4 gears in it. i was thinking about enlarging the gear on (i dont know what its called) the shaft with the sliding forward and reverse gear on it. and shrinking the big gear on the driveshaft. What do you think??? You it would make a difference in speed, after i change out my pulleys????

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-05, 02:43 PM
It would help us out greatly if we knew the machine it is out of as well as the tranny make and model. You likely lost the snap ring that keeps the input shaft in place. For this to come off you likely will find wear in the ring groove meaning you should replace it. As far as replacing the gears inside, you likely won't find any such items standard. You would have to have them specially machined and then I wouldn't count on it to be trustworthy. I'd change over the pulley arrangement and hope to find the right belt arrangement that will work with such.

Old 11-29-05, 01:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct, the snap ring came off. Off the gear end, and into the tranny somewhere. I doubt you could change gear sizes even if you had gears made to fit because of the tranny case dimensions.

Old 11-29-05, 12:49 PM
huntingbubba89
Visiting Guest
Alrighty, well ill replace the the shaft and put it back together and would yall know some method of getting tires off a shaft that is rusted together. i had to drop my tranny with the wheels and tires on because i couldnt get time off, even with a hammer because sooner or later im gotta get new tires and i cant get that darn wheel off the axle

Old 11-29-05, 09:41 PM
any type of rust penetrant can help.

Old 11-30-05, 12:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
On an MTD, i've had to cut the wheels off on occasion. Most of the time I can get them off with an air-powered impact hammer. I usually change the tire with the rim still on the mower if it won't come off easily.

Old 11-30-05, 02:42 PM
And in a worst case scenario, you may need to cut the axles and replace such, obviously. Use anti-seize upon reassembly.

Old 12-02-05, 01:37 PM
huntingbubba89
Visiting Guest
Alrighty i sure appreciate it. Im lookin to put hubs on it for a 4 inch bolt pattern. any body know a website i could find a pair of these at, along with some bearing hubs for the front wheels with a bolt pattern