Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh 5hp snow blower gas leak in carb

Visiting Guest

12-05-05, 07:16 PM   #1  
slipkid
Tecumseh 5hp snow blower gas leak in carb

Hello,
I have a 10 year old MTD snow blower with a 5hp tecumseh engine. I started up the engine today, used fresh gas in the tank. It started OK, I ran it for a few minutes then shut it off. Then I saw gas leaking out of the carb, it was a steady drip. I shut the gas valve off and the drip stoped (as it should). If I open the gas valve the engine will start and run OK. After stoping the engine I must shut the gas valve off.
Why is it leaking gas?

Sponsored Links

12-05-05, 09:03 PM   #2  
take the fuel bowl off and make sure the floats not heavy or sloshing with fuel, if it is, might be the problem. or it could be hanging or the inlet needles sticking or not sealing good. check the oil for a gas smell, change it if it smells like gas.

NY

12-06-05, 02:48 AM   #3  
A ten year old MTD with a 5 horse Tecumseh will have an updraft intake manifold and you needn't worry about gas in the oil. V8 is on the money for potential problems. The Tecumseh inlet needle & seat is part number 631021A and the float is 632019. You may also need the bowl gasket, 631028 and the jet gasket, 27110A. Good luck and let us know when complete.

Visiting Guest

12-06-05, 01:14 PM   #4  
slipkid
How to remove the bowl?

Thanks for the advice, I will get the repair parts from a local shop, thay said they have a Carburetor Repair Kit, part #TEC-632589 for $6.99. How do you remove the bowl? A silly question I know but I don't want to damage the carburetor.
Thanks

Visiting Guest

12-06-05, 01:17 PM   #5  
slipkid
Repair Kit #632592

The repair kit is #632592, the number in the above post is the carb model number.

NY

12-06-05, 02:39 PM   #6  
That is not the carburetor kit part number, that is for a summer application engine. Don't buy it. Use the part numbers I gave you or post back with you exact model and spec. numbers and I'll give you the kit part number for your engine as well as the gasket you'll need if doing a complete reconditioning. Your model number will start out with HSSK50 and followed by another series of numbers (beginning with 67) and that immediately followed by a letter.

Visiting Guest

12-06-05, 04:48 PM   #7  
slipkid
Model Number HS50-67267F

Here is the engine model number:

Model Number #HS50-67267F
Serial # 6233B

Thanks Again

Visiting Guest

12-07-05, 04:13 PM   #8  
slipkid
Want to take a hammer and smash the carb!!

I went to my local dealer with the carb in hand, they seamed to know what they were doing. They sold me a kit #0031840 and a float #623019. There is a little rubber gasket that goes with the needle, like in this picture http://willardssmallengines.com/shop...edle-seat.html . I inserted the needle gasket into the hole, pushed it down with the needle and put the fload back on. The float now sits too high, I bent the little metal piece under the float to adjust but it still sits way too high. What am I doing wrong, do I have the correct kit?
Help!!

NY

12-08-05, 02:57 AM   #9  
The rubber gasket you're referring to is the seat. You must first remove the old one and then press the new one in using a 3/16" pin punch and the grooved side of the seat must be inserted first. In other words, you will not see the grooves when installed correctly. You will then have to get the float height proper...slightly below parallel with the carb body (when holding the carb upside down).

Visiting Guest

12-08-05, 03:42 AM   #10  
slipkid
Still a problem.......

You were correct sir, the old seat was there. I removed it and installed the new seat with the groved side down. I set the float hight and reinstalled the carb. It still leaks as before, I am puzzled. The float apears to move ok before reinstalling the carb.

Visiting Guest

12-08-05, 06:14 AM   #11  
slipkid
Still puzzled ??

I removed the bowl while still mounted to the engine, the fload mover fine. I opened up the gas valve and lifted the float gentley up and and the gas stoped flowing. I did this a few times and the gas stoped flowing every time. I mounted the bowl back on the carb, opened the gas valve and it still leaks out the top on the carb. The float must not moving after the bowl is attached. The bowl is mounted correctly, the deep side away from the hinged part on the float.

12-08-05, 01:51 PM   #12  
did you adjust the float back?

Visiting Guest

12-08-05, 02:20 PM   #13  
slipkid
Float adjusment

I adjusted the float to be level with carb by bending the tab holding the needle spring.

NY

12-08-05, 02:51 PM   #14  
You have a hole in the float. Take it off and shake it. You will hear and feel fuel in it. Replace it with Tecumseh part number 632019.

Visiting Guest

12-08-05, 03:01 PM   #15  
slipkid
The float is new

I replaced the float along with the needle and the needle seat.

NY

12-08-05, 03:09 PM   #16  
Sorry slip, forgot that you replaced the float. One of two thing possible then. Either the seat is not pushed in squarely or there is a scratch mark in the bore of the seat chamber thereby allowing fuel to pass by the outside of the seat and not past the needle. What did you use to remove the old seat? A pick of some sort where there is a chance of a scratch mark in the bore? If so, it's time for a new carburetor, part number 640084B - $54.

Visiting Guest

12-08-05, 03:23 PM   #17  
slipkid
seat removal

I removed the old seat with a small sheet metal screw, the hole where the seat sits apears fine. With the bowl removed and the gas valve opened I can move the float up and down and the gas stops flowing. It looks like the float is not moving freely after the bowl is attached, just a guess.

12-08-05, 09:18 PM   #18  
sheet metal screw? sure theres no damage? did you make sure the seat was seated good? might be a possibility of the wrong float maybe

NY

12-09-05, 03:44 AM   #19  
The float pin can be cleaned using an emery cloth type abrasive or you can replace it with part number 631024.

Visiting Guest

12-09-05, 12:55 PM   #20  
slipkid
Oh well.....

I can use the snowblower, thats the main thing. I just shut off the gas valve after I use it. I cannot solve the gas overflow problem. I changed the float, needle and the needle seat. There is not much to it, but it has me baffled.
Oh Well.
Thanks all for the help

02-13-07, 04:48 PM   #21  
carb leak

Hey,I have done a lot of searching when I was working on mine.I remember reading that if you dont put the little wire connecter, that holds the float on,facing the right way it can cause leaks.Note the position of the spring clip on the inlet needle
and float, the long end of the clip must face toward the
choke end of the carburetor. Remove the float hinge
pin with a needlenose pliers. Some carburetors use a
float dampening spring to aid the inlet valve in
maintaining a steady position during rough service
applications. Note the position of the hooks before
removing the float hinge pin (diag. 28).

Search this Thread