Craftsman 536.885900 carb full, no fuel

Old 12-06-05, 03:30 PM
Craftsman 536.885900 carb full, no fuel

Hi all, I have a Craftsman 536.885900, I drove it into the shed last spring, but had to pull it out. I have a good spark, but no fuel. I drained and refilled the tank, just because it sat. The plug is brand new and completely dry. I have good compression. Removed the carb and it loods pretty clean, cleaned out the needle (jet). After cranking over the carb fills up but no gas still. Also should note that the float does move freely. I gotta admit, i was a ford tech for 12 years before i got too old and im feelin kinda dumb.
From looking at the carb and intake, is it correct to assume the fuel is pulled into the engine from the suction generated by the engine turning over? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-05, 04:01 PM
fuel should be a gravity feed. have you tried a little gas down the carb, or down the spark plug hole, or starting fluid? anyway, if it was set without fuel stabilizer, its still probablly gummed good, i would do a good carb tear down and soaking then spray it out with cleaner, compressed air too if you have it. be careful around the inlet needle seat, may blow it out.

Old 12-06-05, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess i need to pull the carb again. I did it once and it looked good, and i did clean it out but maybe the float is stuck or something. The needle/seat looked pretty straight forward, hope i didnt loose any small parts. I spose its back out to the garage before it snows.

Old 12-07-05, 03:40 PM
Carb # 632334, any inherant problems?

I have cleaned the heck out of this thing. Replaced 2 tanks of gas from different stations, and still no go. The bowl fills up, and will run fine on carb cleaner, but i cant get a lick of gas into the motor. Im thinking maybe a small port in the carb that i cant see. That makes me think that if i get a carb kit for it, ill have the same problem after. The needle and seat look great, and there is no visable varnish anywhere. Im starting to think about a replacement carb. Any thoughts?

Old 12-08-05, 03:03 AM
Your key word is "visible". The carburetor needs to be soaked in a quality bath type cleaner (I like NAPA #6401) and then reconditioned with a Tecumseh kit. The kit part number is 632347 and the manifold to block gasket number is 27915A. If needed, the float is 632019.

Old 12-08-05, 03:22 AM
Can i buy the solvent

Can i buy the solvent, or should i bring the carb to a small engine guy? Its going to cost me $95 including shipping to replace the carb. Im guessing about $75 for a rebuild at a shop. Does that sound about right to you?

Old 12-08-05, 01:39 PM
you can buy it at napa if you have one around you, best thing i like about napa, they don't have it, they can most of the time order it for you.