Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh 10 hp engine backfire

Visiting Guest

12-09-05, 04:58 PM   #1  
justtony
Tecumseh 10 hp engine backfire

I have a Tecumseh HM100, 10 hp engine on a 5200 watt generator. A few months ago I had the carb rebuilt by a repair shop - the float had failed and fuel was running straight thru carb. Thing worked fine when I got it back and it sat unstarted for 2 months or so. When I started it today it was hard to start ( normal for this unit) and then ran terribly, backfiring constantly. Thought fuel may be bad so drained tank and installed new fuel with some dry gas. Still backfiring. Noticed if iI close choke a notch it runs a little better. What do I do next?

Sponsored Links

12-09-05, 09:06 PM   #2  
no fuel stabilizer? probablly needs a fine tuning to the adjustment screws though. any black smoke when its backfiring?

Visiting Guest

12-10-05, 05:27 PM   #3  
justtony
Doesn't Have Any Adjustment Screws...one Screw Seems To Be A Needle Valve Of Some Kind But Doesn't See To Do Anything With Engine Running. It Is Turend In Tight And Sealed In That Position. Don't See Much Smoke.

12-10-05, 06:35 PM   #4  
wheres that screw located at? anyway, does it have a in-line fuel filter? i'd take the fuel line off at the carb, crimp the line, let it go in a can or something, making sure its getting fuel. if it does blow any smoke, is it black or a whitish blue? black is indeed a rich condition, white would be just oil. could've gotten trash in the carb as well.

Search this Thread