1 vs. 2 stage snowthrowers

Old 12-09-05, 07:31 PM
Question 1 vs. 2 stage snowthrowers

Sorry if this extremely basic question has been asked before, I looked through a bunch of old posts and couldn't find it.

Can someone explain the difference between one and two stage snowthrowers?

I just moved into a house in NY that gets a lot of snow during the winter and has about a 50', single car, paved driveway. I'd also need it to clear a path to the woodpile in the back yard.

I'm an ex-city boy so please be gentle.

Thanks for any help,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-05, 10:31 PM
Good Morning dkpbxman

well....a single stage snow thrower more or less sweeps lose snow up to blow.
where as a two stage snow thrower has a auger to dig hard packed snow up an then blows it out of the way.If I was in your place,I'd go with the two stage,if money was there.It will do both jobs.And save on salt, for drive way & concrete walk ways to boot.

Have you any idea about a favorite name brand,or a cost limit???

Old 12-10-05, 05:17 AM
Question

Thanks for your reply-

I was thinking in the range of 8 HP and up, intermediate 2 stage and the names I heard mentioned were Snapper or Husqvarna on a budget of about $800

Am I in the right ballpark?

Dan

Old 12-10-05, 09:58 AM
Both of these brands are good choices,reliable and dependable.Snapper's has a B&S engines on them which I like only because nobody has any quams about working on them.Husqvarna on the other hand uses Tecumseh engines,There a little harder to work on,and not everyone knows what their doin'.Husky starts at a 9.5 Hp.engine and something like a 27" plow path in the two stage blower line,where Snapper start with a smaller Hp.I've always liked both,myself.But I lean towards husqvarna, anything.

But maybe you will see something that sounds more to your likeing at their websites:

www.snapper.com
and
www.husqvarna.com

sure hope this helps a little.And be sure to come check your post again,someone else might have input.

Old 12-10-05, 10:49 AM
Thanks very much. I'll look around.

Old 12-10-05, 05:33 PM
justtony
Visiting Guest
I currently have a snow blower with a tecumseh engine and would not reccommend one. Seem to have had much better service from B&S engines. The two stage is better way to go. Mine is a Deere but see many MTD machines and most brands are made by them anyway. The electric start is a nice option to consider too.

Old 12-10-05, 08:20 PM
1 vs 2 stage snowblower

If you live in a area that gets more than 6 inchs of snow at a time then you want a 2 stage snowblower , I live in upstate NY myself and would never buy a snowblower that was not 2 stages or less than 8 hp. There are a couple options you might want to look for as well electric start is nice as well as a headlight. But then again I also get 150 inch of snow a year up here :-)

Crom