Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

spark plug question

MA

12-10-05, 09:20 AM   #1  
spark plug question

Can a bad spark plug be the cause of my 2 cycle snowthrower suddenly running bad,surging,hunting,loss of power,or was it something else....gremlins?

When i put in a new plug it started and ran like a champ.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

12-10-05, 10:13 AM   #2  
If the spark plug is damaged or fouled it doesn't effectively ignite the fuel. This will cause the problems you described. Glad a new plug solved your problem.

AL

12-10-05, 10:15 AM   #3  
The surging you describe is gona be in you fuel system.And you're gona have to clean out the carb,& line(s).The spark plug and gause a miss or sputtering sound.you might have to clean the carbon deposits out of the head & around the valves.depends on how the spark plug looks.

MA

12-10-05, 10:16 AM   #4  
Thanks for your reply... Says a lot for a "new" plug in your machines every year. cheap insurance.

MA

12-10-05, 10:25 AM   #5  
If i have symptoms again i'll do the traditional cleaning of the carb ckt.
plug looked like what i would expect. As a afterthought,the snow was fairly deep for a small machine. maybe i got some in the carb or plug. I'll know with the next storm.
thanks

12-10-05, 06:25 PM   #6  
yeah a fouled or damaged plug can cause problems. make sure its gapped correctly, next time it happens, try a new plug first before the carb if it happens again, a plug ain't much to give a try at it.

MA

12-11-05, 08:48 AM   #7  
Thanks all for your inputs. Today i started the machine and it started and ran fine. I guess i'm a little "gun shy".

another question for a future thread is the best way to store these machines.
Drain the gas,leave gas in and add stabilizer,leave gas and stabilizer in,but drain the whole tank before using at beginning of season,adding carb cleaner,etc.

CANADA

12-11-05, 01:49 PM   #8  
what you should do is buy some gas stabilizer and add it to the gasoline holding container, run the machine out of the old gas, then add the stabilized gas in, then run the machine for 10 minutes.

12-11-05, 06:28 PM   #9  
2 cycle? some 2 cycles oil mix have fuel stabilizer in them, when it comes time to put my old weedeaters up, the syn oil mix i use already has a stabilizer, just leave the tank full and hang it up. though if the mix has no stabilizer, stabilizer can be used, just make sure to run it a while so the whole carb is treated good, the old mix can be safely used in a cars gas tank if you need to get rid of old or alot you don't need, etc.

Search this Thread