MTD 3.5 hp dies after a minute or two

Old 12-10-05, 01:14 PM
meadowroller68
Visiting Guest
MTD 3.5 hp dies after a minute or two

I loaned my blower to a neighbor (bad idea) last year and it was returned to me with an iceberg in the tank. I thawed it and took it to the shop. They cleaned out the fuel line. It started last year & ran ok. Now it will only run for a minute or two, and at low power. This machine has no throttle, only a choke. I have taken the cap off to see if that's the problem with no success. If I need to remove the carb to soak & scrub, will I be able to bolt it back on and go? Any advice? I've never tried to work on a carb before.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-05, 04:55 PM
that's not too much to go on. meadowroller68,Are we talking about an MTD single stage(two cycle) blower or a 2 stage (4 cycle) blower.Tecumseh or Briggs&Stratton engine??? reply back with model # so the rest of us is on the same page.

We would be glad to help if only we had more info.With all known info. we can give you a more correct and complete diagnosis and cure of the problem.

Old 12-11-05, 10:25 AM
meadowroller68
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. It's actually a 2 cycle Tecumseh, so I guess that makes it a single stage, and its a 3, not 3.5, hp model. Its MTD model 31A-140-000. The engine is model HSK 600. I should mention its pretty cold here in the Chicago suburbs this weekend.

Old 12-11-05, 12:47 PM
Exclamation

OK....it's a 2 cycle,that do make a differance.The first thing that comes to mind for causing it not to go to full RPM's would be the muffler and or exhoust ports is gloged up with corbon deposit's.Before you take the muffler off tho check the muffler to see if it got a screen on it somewhere,if it does,take it off,that's the problem.If it doesn't,take the muffler off.take the spark plug out,clean port holes good with piece of wood.Blow carbon out of cylinder(IMPORTANT) put back together.Should be fine.

Might also have an old mud dobber nest built inside it

Old 12-11-05, 03:47 PM
meadowroller68
Visiting Guest
Thanks for that advice. After knocking some carbon out and cleaning what I could, it did start and run until I actually put it to some snow. I had to take a look in the carb bowl, and there was some junk that I cleaned out, but in looking at/messing with the float valve, the inlet needle popped out. I think I successfully replaced it as it was originally,(it hooks into that thin clasp fixed to the float, I'm assuming) but haven't gotten it to start again since.
I did put fresh gas in this week. Spark plug or some other carb problem maybe? Thanks for the quick replies. This is a great site.

Old 12-11-05, 06:34 PM
if gas doesn't run everywhere? the float and inlet needle sound like they are doing their job. is there a screw on the float bowls bowl nut that holds the bowl on?

Old 12-11-05, 07:42 PM
Yeah,I agree with v8driver.Take the bowl nut back off,clean the hole going down the center,and there is a tinny hole between the threads that needs to be cleaned also.You can use a bread tie wire or a torch tip cleaner.

Make sure,first that there is a good flow of fuel getting to the carb.