Carb ID problem, No engine model numbers to work with.

Old 12-10-05, 07:28 PM
Carb ID problem, No engine model numbers to work with.

Need help IDing a carb. I have a Tecumseh SnowKing engine that I believe is a medium frame 6hp. The original engine had a cable operated throttle control and a multiple position choke control. When that engine died of old age, [and a rod through the side of the block] I went to a local small engine shop and priced a new motor. While debating putting that amount of money in an almost 40 year old blower verses purchasing a new blower, the owner showed me several used engines. I got a very good price on an almost identical engine, the main difference was that the replacement engine has a newer[?] style carb and shroud. The carb features one lever, up to choke, down to run. There is a small on/off electrical switch sticking straight up through the top of the shroud. No provisions for a throttle cable. You start the engine up and it runs WOT controlled by the govenor. The carb has a plastic choke arm/shaft/plate that has broken. The end of this plastic arm engaged a metal arm that sticks through the shroud. There is an o-ring sealing the shaft and the plastic shaft is held in with a small L shaped bracket attached with a single screw. I need to replace that plastic piece. When I bought the engine the recoil housing was missing it's ID tag. I have no model or serial number to work with. There is a number stamped in the top of the carb 400 2f28, and the bottom of the float bowl has Lauson Power Products Grafton Wis. USA stamped on it. Can anyone give me something to go on? I can't order parts without a engine model/serial number. I will monitor this posting or answer PMs. Can email photos.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-05, 05:35 AM
Why not see if the old carb will bolt to new engine if governor arm is in same location/ position as old engine?
Mike

Old 12-11-05, 05:44 AM
Thanks Mike, but original engine is long gone. The replacement motor performed well for two years and I got tired of tripping over the old one, so I got rid of it about a year ago. Just goes to show how you should never throw anything away.

Old 12-11-05, 06:01 AM
I'd take the carb to the shop you bought the engine from to see if they can get the parts needed.
Mike

Old 12-11-05, 09:18 AM
Tecumseh carb

Can you recheck those numbers on the carb they dont show up in my chart.

AJ

Old 12-11-05, 09:38 AM
The small engine guy couldn't ID the carb or the engine. All the 'experts' are stumped. The general concensis is it may be off a Craftsman single stage thrower, But without a model number to work with, Sears is totally worthless.
The original paint on the motor is a dark charcoal gray, but it must have been earlier than Craftsman's 'silver with black motor era'.

I'm not sure that linking is allowed here but, I put some photos on my private page:LausonCarb

Old 12-11-05, 09:50 AM
400 2F28 These two sets of numbers seem to have been stamped seperately on the same line. They are quite clear and easily read. There seems to be a faint j inside a circle near the edge of the carb on the same line but it does not look like it is part of the number.

Old 12-11-05, 10:34 AM
T carb

Originally Posted by JLOpower
400 2F28 These two sets of numbers seem to have been stamped seperately on the same line. They are quite clear and easily read. There seems to be a faint j inside a circle near the edge of the carb on the same line but it does not look like it is part of the number.
I think I found it please send me some pictures [email protected]

AJ

Old 12-11-05, 11:42 AM
Sent those photos to your e-mail, hope they get though. I placed photos here also:Lauson Carb

Old 12-11-05, 11:47 AM
T carb

Originally Posted by JLOpower
Sent those photos to your e-mail, hope they get though. I placed photos here also:Lauson Carb
I got it
Your carb is a 631655.

Models that use that carb are:
H50-65341J
H50-65361J
H60-75346J
H70-130138A

Valve control 631629A
o-ring 631379 NLA

Old 12-11-05, 01:04 PM
Many Thanks!! I really did not want to replace the carb on this engine. I will order up the parts ASAP. Thanks everyone!

Old 12-16-05, 07:15 PM
Thanks Guys! That did it. The parts are right and I have the carb back together. The 'valve, control' comes with the o-ring so that went well..........

Search this Thread