Cub Caddet problems

Old 12-15-05, 04:35 AM
Cub Caddet problems

My son has a Cub Cadet riding lawnmower model-1027 (the one shaped like a lady-bug). The problem is that when you were mowing on a pretty good slope (going downhill),whenever you release the gas pedal, you would feel a strong braking (without touching the brake pedal). Recentally, it stopped doing this and you would have to apply the brake pedal, for it seems to be free-wheeling. I feel that this is dangerous for my grandson to use. I am going to bring the mower down to my shop but I was just wondering what to look for?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-05, 08:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I believe the "gas" pedal is actually actuating a varidrive pulley similar to the varidrive pulleys on the older 38" and 42" MTD mowers. I think I'd start looking at the pulley, the center sheave on that pulley (and how free it is on the shaft), the return spring for the bracket the varidrive pulley is on, and the belts.

Old 12-15-05, 05:03 PM
Cub Cadet riding lawnmower

Thanks Cheese,
I will probably start where you suggested. I'll tell you what, these little 1027's are a real pain to work on. There isn't a thing on them that even resembles another brand.

Old 06-07-08, 08:37 AM
I have a yard bug and how it works is by a single speed and the gas pedal only stops the engine from engaging the the trans. Try running it in slow speed The Turtle as this may slow it enough on the splope. I'm trying to change the upper speed belt with little success. SHAW