craftmans snowthrower

Old 12-16-05, 07:41 AM
djt
craftmans snowthrower

I have a craftmans snowthrower model#536.887992.It is 2 years old.Last week i went to start it with the electric starter and it would not turn over.i tried it a couple of times and nothing.I let it sit for ten minutes and tried it again and all it did was a wining sound.I tried the manuel start a couple of times then that got stuck.What do i have to do to get it started.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-05, 03:01 PM
Try taking the blower housing off and inspecting the starter/flywheel.
Sounds to me that the bindex gear is hung up with the teeth on the
flyeheel now.

"Last week i went to start it with the electric starter and it would not turn over.i tried it a couple of times and nothing.I let it sit for ten minutes and tried it again and all it did was a wining sound."

And that sonds like the bindex gear or the flywheel gear is wore out.
the starter is spinning,but not enguaging.

if both gears look in good shape jush spray lub the starter drive good
and clean.
Might be also a bad sterter,hope not.but if it is,replay back & someone can help you with a replacement.

Old 12-17-05, 11:48 PM
I think you have a stuck gear on the starter. If it's cold put a blow dryer on the starter for about 10 minnutes. Should fix it. The drive gear sticks and doesn't like to run up the shaft and engage when it's cold. It actually needs some lube when that happens but that can be disastrous if you don't know where to lube it. If you put lube in the wrong place it will spin worse and will need a thourough cleaning.
S/T

Old 12-18-05, 03:45 AM
The electric starter is mounted below the fuel tank. Do you think it's a good idea to use a hair dryer or heat gun on the starter? Hope this fellow doesn't set himself and his garage on fire from a fuel leak.

Old 12-19-05, 06:08 AM
djt
crafstman snowthower

where is the blower housing?undefined

Old 12-19-05, 11:19 AM
its on the engine, covers the flywheel and fins up so not to be touched, but also is critical for engine cooling.

Old 12-20-05, 08:47 AM
djt
craftsman snow thrower

I found a wire with a white sort of clip hanging down by the starter.do you know what that could be.

Old 12-20-05, 06:50 PM
probably for the light--from the generator--under the flywheel

Old 12-20-05, 06:51 PM
I wasn't telling him to stick the damn dryer in the gas tank!! Good grief. You think everyone is as dumb as a politician?

Old 12-21-05, 02:56 AM
If the starter gear is jammed into the flywheel it is likely due to the starter being loose. Remove the belt cover, remove the spark plug, turn the crankshaft in the opposite direction as normal (this would be clockwise (as viewed from the end of such)) by hand. This should release the gear. Be sure, then, to tighten up the starter. Ideally, you should remove each (4) screw, one at a time, and apply some blue Loctite to each and then reinstall each one. Then give the starter a try. Not before reinstalling the guard and spark plug though.

Old 12-21-05, 09:05 PM
You said it was a whining sound?? Turning but not engaging? The starter drive is stuck and will not run up the thread to engage with the flywheel. Could be loose bolts holding it to the engine. Might need lube--try tapping it lightly with a hammer while pressing the start button.

Old 12-23-05, 07:54 AM
djt
Exclamation craftsman snowthrower

The starter gear does not seem like it engages the flywheel.I had it apart and the starter gear did not seem like was close to the flywheel.When you hit the starter button does the gear come out and engage the flywheel or is it supposed to already be engaged.Are you able to turn the flywheel by hand.

Old 12-23-05, 10:23 PM
supposed to engage when starting, pops back down when you let off the starter. you can turn the flywheel by hand, but not fast enough to start it unless it has a pull start? is it hanging up midway? or.....?

Old 12-24-05, 08:09 AM
I wasn't telling him to stick the damn dryer in the gas tank!! Good grief. You think everyone is as dumb as a politician?
Politicians wouldn't just follow advice they found on a web forum. They would form a commitee and spend $300,000 to research how incredibly stupid using a heating element near gasoline fumes really is. Then they would write 100 new pieces of legisation, defining the rules allowing said procedure.

As someone who has a friend that spent 9 months recovering from gasoline fume burns, I politely suggested safety over stupidity. That is all. Go ahead and do what you want. Since bending down to use a hair dryer on the electric starter will place your head very close to the fuel tank, the resulting scars or permanent blindness will be a constant reminder. Safety First isn't just something you say like Good Morning.

Old 12-26-05, 06:28 AM
djt
craftsman snowthrower

I cannot turn flywheel by hand and it does have a pull starter.That seems to be locked up.I do not know what to do.

Old 12-26-05, 09:32 PM
won't turn with the shroud back on? or not at all, with shroud on or off?

Old 12-27-05, 11:29 AM
djt
It will not turn with the shroud on or off.The manual pull is stuck also. When i had the shroud off i could not turn it by hand.I do not think it turns with the electric starter either.

Old 12-27-05, 11:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like your engine is locked up. Try it with the spark plug out and see if it will turn by hand.

Lighten up Supertech.