5hp Craftsman Snowblower stalls under load

Old 12-17-05, 07:16 AM
pen
Visiting Guest
5hp Craftsman Snowblower stalls under load

I have a 5hp, Craftsman snowblower, 22", dual stage with electric start. I am not sure of the make of the engine but I suspect that it is a Tecumsah. I bought it new on 12/04/1997 and have not ever stored it with gas stabilizer but I change the oil each year. Last winter it would run but stall under any snow load. So this fall I removed the carb and found some granular deposits and water in the bowl. I cleaned these out and did what I could without parts cleaner to clean it up. I put it all back together and it ran very well around the yard with the auger engaged and in drive. I also decided to start using gas stabilizer in the fuel. Yesterday we had our first major snow. The machine started well but stalled after a few minutes. It started again and ran but not all that well until it was warm. Then I tried to blow about 6" of snow. It stalled right away. It started again and I had to be very careful not to let it stall while blowing snow. It would only blow moderate weight snow about 8 feet; far less than expected. This went on for about 15 minutes until it stoped and would not start again. My guess is that I need to more completly clean the carb with parts cleaner and install a rebild kit. Is there something more that I should check before investing $43 in parts cleaner at NAPA? As an alternate, I can get a new carb at Sears Parts on-line for $45. Is that a better solution? Any help is appreciated!

I decided to edit this message because I have now completed a compression test on the engine. Pulling by hand I could only register 45 lbs. Turning by the electric start it registered 75 lbs. Is this too low for the compression or is there a compression release for starting?

Last edited by pen; 12-17-05 at 12:12 PM. Reason: New information
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-05, 12:17 PM
The carb cleaner with the dip basket is expensive but not always necessery. Just buy a can of aerosol carb cleaner and use that. Just be careful you don't get it in your eyes. I take the carb apart, remove the rubber parts, and drop the remaining hard parts in a glass mayonaise jar, squirt in an inch of cleaner and slosh them around. I use more from the aerosol to clean the carb body and it's passages. Then reassemble with new gaskets if available.

Old 12-17-05, 12:25 PM
You may have some stuck piston rings. Pour some Marvel Mystery oil or SeaFoam in the spark plug hole, pull it over slowly with the recoil once and let it sit several hours. Then try to start it OUTSIDE. [smoky!] This may free up stuck rings and carboned up valves. If it does work, change the oil and spark plug again, it may be diluted by the solvents.

Old 12-17-05, 12:25 PM
pen
Visiting Guest
OK, I will clean it with spray carb cleaner. Before I do can you give me an idea about the engine compression. It seems low at 75 lbs.

Old 12-17-05, 12:29 PM
pen
Visiting Guest
OK, I will go buy some Marvel Mystery Oil. I have often seen it on the shelf at the auto parts store but never knew what it was used for. It seems that I should do that before cleaning the carb. Is that so?

Old 12-17-05, 01:09 PM
Yeah, do the oil before you tear into the carb. Low compression will give you problems under load, so go that route first. Don't know the exact compression you need but 75psi seems low to me too.......

Old 12-17-05, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by pen
OK, I will go buy some Marvel Mystery Oil. I have often seen it on the shelf at the auto parts store but never knew what it was used for. It seems that I should do that before cleaning the carb. Is that so?
its good stuff, you could pick it up cheaper at walmart probablly in the 32 ouncer, has its various other uses on back. it should run with 75psi. and i'd wear automotive gloves that can handle solvents, carb cleaner will dry your hands up. do it in a open space as well. you can take and empty a can on it, in a metal container (cleaner eats some plastics) cover the carb and let it set for a few minutes, then blow it out with it.

Old 12-17-05, 11:20 PM
Your problem is fuel. A lack of fuel from the high speed jet. If the jet is adjustable (thumb screw) simply open it up some more and your problem is solved. You can do this while it's running. Screw is on bottom of float bowl. Turn counter-clockwise to open and opposite to close. Seems to me that was all that was necessary here.
S/T

Old 12-17-05, 11:26 PM
Your compression is fine--trust me--I've been a sears LG tech for a long time. Your problem is fuel. If you need more help send me a private message because I rarely read the posts that have been answered.

S/T

Search this Thread