Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD Two Cycle Motor Runs away.....

Visiting Guest

12-17-05, 12:46 PM   #1  
Rick Spalding
MTD Two Cycle Motor Runs away.....

I have an MTD Model 315E150-000 Snow Thrower That has been an excellent machine for 11 years.

This year while doing the first snow the engine slowly got weaker and weaker and finally stopped. I installed a new plug and took the carb off to make sure no junk was in the valve. replaced it without changing any settings and when I started it the RPM's just kept increasing to the point I thought it would blow. I could not turn it off with the key. It seemed to just run up and then eventually turn off if I removed the plug wire.

Obviously the governor is messed up but I changed nothing. How do I trouble shoot this thing and get back in control ofthe RPM's. Being a two cycle there is no speed adjustment.

Thanks for any help.

OK so I'm not too bright....but I looked closely and found I had not attached one end of the Governor rod (Just the spring), but now I have the problem of very erratic idle from chug chug to what sounds like it did when we used to open up those big throats in Holley Carbs...ya know that honk. Anyway the idle seems to basically stumble....any hints now that I have admitted my shame.

Last edited by Rick Spalding; 12-17-05 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Stupid error, but.........

Sponsored Links

12-17-05, 03:58 PM   #2  
you can try to adjust the low speed to see if it helps the stumble at low speed. does it run good at high speed?

Visiting Guest

12-21-05, 10:04 PM   #3  
Rick Spalding
No adjustments

The engine runs very erratiacally and as far as I can see there are no adjustments available on the carb. The only adjustable thing is the choke. No accellerator or air/rich screws like a regular carb. If I put the choke on full it idles fairly smoothly if I open it at all it starts to surge badly and backfire occasionally. If I tilt the engine it seems to sorta level out but then returns to surging. I notice the governor lever never moves....isn't it supposed to be self adjusting as the engine runs...I expected some movement???

Visiting Guest

12-22-05, 12:47 PM   #4  
Rick Spalding
Didn't know how to reply...trying again

Posted By: v8driver you can try to adjust the low speed to see if it helps the stumble at low speed. does it run good at high speed?
The engine runs very erratiacally and as far as I can see there are no adjustments available on the carb. The only adjustable thing is the choke. No accellerator or air/rich screws like a regular carb. If I put the choke on full it idles fairly smoothly if I open it at all it starts to surge badly and backfire occasionally. If I tilt the engine it seems to sorta level out but then returns to surging. I notice the governor lever never moves....isn't it supposed to be self adjusting as the engine runs...I expected some movement???
Edit/Delete Message

12-22-05, 04:56 PM   #5  
what brand carb? it sounds like it wasn't cleaned good enough, still has some trash in it.

Visiting Guest

12-24-05, 01:27 AM   #6  
Rick Spalding
Success!!!!

Well I feel a little dumb but don't know why.....I took a look at the governor linkage. For some reason the governor shaft was shifted completely the wrong direction. I loosened the nut and held the throtel full open and turned the shaft totally counterclockwise and retightened.....runs like a swiss watch.....problem of not being able to turn it off was solved by tightening the connection at the switch. Seems simple after the fact!!! Thanks for your replys and Merry Christmas

12-24-05, 06:55 PM   #7  
glad you got it going.....merry x-mas

Search this Thread