Snow Blower Chatters at low speed

Old 12-18-05, 07:13 AM
rdsatkaycee
Visiting Guest
Snow Blower Chatters at low speed

I have an older Montgomer Ward 3 horse power 21" (B&S) snow thrower. It's working pretty good (now that I've realized the importance of a good mix of the oil and gas).
It goes real good at high speed (lifting up on the handles a good amount), but trying to get around at slow speed, it seems to chatter badly on the concrete. Once I find the 'sweet spot' of lifting up on the handle/speed it works real good, but with small snows, that means its going real fast. Also seems to be harder on the back.
Does anyone know if there is an adjustment or have advice on operating it a different way or it it just something to try and get used to?
(Also, does anyone happen to know where I can get parts for this?)
Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-05, 02:55 AM
You likely have a worn auger bearing and by applying pressure you are eliminating any endplay and the noise goes away.

Old 12-19-05, 12:08 PM
rdsatkaycee
Visiting Guest
Thank you. Is this something that is easily replaceable?

Old 12-20-05, 04:48 AM
rdsatkaycee
Visiting Guest
Checked it last night for tightness. There is no wobble. Does this mean (I hope) the bearings are good and maybe just needs grease? Thanks,

Old 12-20-05, 05:45 PM
Try adjusting the "shoes",or the skid on the front of the housing. I think you might have to raise it up a bit.

Old 12-21-05, 03:00 AM
Good point daswede, the collectors could be scraping the ground due to wear at the skids. kaycee, give this a look. On a flat level surface, see if the auger collectors are touching the ground. If so, the skids are located on each side of the auger housing and are adjustable.

Old 12-22-05, 06:28 PM
rdsatkaycee
Visiting Guest
I cannot find shoes or skids. There is a 'shave plate' at the rear which is made of rubber and it defenitely is worn. Could this be what you are talking about? Thanks,

Old 12-23-05, 03:00 AM
Oops, forgot you had a single stage machine...no shoes! In this case, if the scraper is well worn AND the rubber spirals are also well worn, then the metal part of the augers could be scraping...but this is not too likely. It probably is the auger bearings and to replace them is not a bad job to do. On the left side (belt side) you will have to remove the belt pulley to access the bearing retainer. The right side should have no obstacles. That is if this is in fact the trouble. A systematic diagnosis is in order to determine the exact origin of the noise.

Old 12-23-05, 04:24 AM
rdsatkaycee
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I really appreciate the help. Back to the bearings, so I will take a look at them and see about greasing them first I guess, then replacing, thanks again.

Search this Thread