Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh Snow King 8hp

Visiting Guest

12-18-05, 05:13 PM   #1  
ontarioguy
Tecumseh Snow King 8hp

I just bought this Snow Thrower used and it was sitting for 3 years, with gas in it... I changed out the fuel, cleaned the carb and eventually put a kit in the carb. But enen still, I have a problem with surging and backfiring. Some one suggested I either change or reset the points. The problem is, I dont know where to look for the points, or even if this has them. I am not sure of the year this was made but I think it is about 1980.

Can anyone give me some guidance on this? And possibly describe where I would find the points.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

12-18-05, 08:13 PM   #2  
numbers off the engine would help more on figuring out if it has points or not. was the carb soaked good, then blown out?

Visiting Guest

12-18-05, 08:22 PM   #3  
ontarioguy
Yes the carb was thoroughly cleaned. The only numbers I can barely see are on the plate. Maybe M or H 6185.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-18-05, 11:58 PM   #4  
Sounds to me like it's still not getting enough fuel. Try backing out the screw under the carb bowl 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

12-19-05, 03:14 AM   #5  
ontarioguy
Thanks,
Tried that....actually backed it out 2 full turns. Yes it stalled and would not start until I turned it back in.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-19-05, 10:36 PM   #6  
When does it run the worst? At low speed or high?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

12-21-05, 04:19 AM   #7  
ontarioguy
It runs the worst at about 3/4 speed. At full speed it runs not too bad, but still backfires.

12-21-05, 06:04 AM   #8  
Posted By: ontarioguy It runs the worst at about 3/4 speed. At full speed it runs not too bad, but still backfires.
Check the Gas Cap. Are the vents holes clogged ??

12-21-05, 08:47 PM   #9  
Backfireing is a sign of 'starving for fuel'. That will give you a good idea of what to do.

12-21-05, 08:57 PM   #10  
oops--sent too soon. Fuel jet still dirty or did you replace it? If you did there's probably still dirt in the low speed circuit. When these engines are running full speed they depend on the low speed circuit to supply fuel as well as the high speed jet. The low speed is usually the hardest port to clean because it's internal. If this is the problem take out the low speed screw and spray some carb clean in the orifice two or three times at 5 minute intervals and compressed air through as well. Usually does the trick. If not--soak the carb in methyl hydrate for an hour--this will dissolve the old gas (better than cleaner) tarnish from the port and allow the proper amount of fuel to be delivered. Hope that helps.

Visiting Guest

01-09-06, 04:35 AM   #11  
ontarioguy
I picked up a used carb which was rebuilt for the price of a carb kit, and it's still running the same way. Backfiring etc.
The guy that I got the carb agrees that it sounds like fuel starvation. I checked gas cap fuel lines and all seems okay.
The person I got the blower from says it is an 1989, not 100 % sure, does that mean it has points?
Any one know? And if so where to look.

Thanks

Visiting Guest

01-09-06, 12:32 PM   #12  
ontarioguy
Engine Numbers

Posted By: v8driver numbers off the engine would help more on figuring out if it has points or not. was the carb soaked good, then blown out?

I got these numbers off the engine...finally HM 80 - 155313 P -
SER# ? - 9151 D

I hope these will help in detemining if there are points on this thing.

NY

01-10-06, 03:05 AM   #13  
The first digit of the serial number (9) indicates the year, you have to figure out the decade. But, based on the "313P" of the spec. #, I know you have a 1989 model year engine. This does not have points rather a solid state ignition coil. It is rare for these to fail but they can and do. Don't necessarily rule this out but I still think you may have a carburetor issue. The correct kit part number for the carb. is 632347. Make sure you have soaked the carb. in a quality bath type cleaner (I like NAPA part number 6401).

Search this Thread