Ancient Ariens ignition

Old 12-19-05, 12:54 AM
jpgoodnu
Visiting Guest
Ancient Ariens ignition

I have what I believe is a 1964-1966 Ariens Snowblower(round chute and only one engagement lever-can't propel without auger running, and the auger is half exposed-drum ends at auger bearings). It appears to need new points(no spark this season) and I haven't ever done them on a small engine before(this has what I believe is a 7HP Tecumseh). I was interested in eliminating the points if possible(Atom or Nova Module?). Any suggestions on how to do the job and/or what to do about the points? Also any source for the labels for speed control and heat box etc.?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-05, 02:53 AM
I wouldn't recommend using an aftermarket ignition...they're not at all reliable. Stick with genuine Tecumseh points. You will have to remove the fllywheel in order to replace them which requires a knock-off tool to remove such and a torque wrench to reinstall it. The chassis label are likely NLA but the Tecumseh items likely are and could be found (ordered) through a Tecumseh dealer (as well as the points and condensor).

Old 12-20-05, 12:52 AM
I rarely replace points in those old things. Take em out and sand em down on some 300 grit wet and dry paper. Make em nice and shiny--clean em off with laquer thinner or carb spray or brake clean. Put em back, set em right, and they're good for another decade.

Old 12-21-05, 03:02 AM
If you take the time to get to the point of being at them...replace them! They're only ten bucks. Tecumseh part numbers 30547A, points and 30548B, condensor.

Old 12-21-05, 08:35 PM
That's ok for you in New York. Try the centre of BC, Canada--no one has any, nor will they order them due to shipping costs. They'll try to sell you an electronic coil for 50 bucks and then charge you 70 bucks to put it in. Hence; my suggestion not to replace. Location, location.