Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Leaking gas from Bowl Drain Assembly

Visiting Guest

12-19-05, 07:29 AM   #1  
adg657
Leaking gas from Bowl Drain Assembly

My 10-year-old Craftsman 5.5 HP snowthrower (586.886150) is leaking gasoline from the bowl drain assembly at bottom of the carb (plunger with spring). It has also been spitting gasoline out of the primer bulb. The leaking is intermittent even when engine is not running.

It runs great, and starts on one pull. Full power under load.

I am not a mechanic, but from looking at the exploded diagram in the manual, could it be the drain plunger gasket? I would appreciate anyone's guidance.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

12-19-05, 11:23 AM   #2  
yes the gasket.....as for the primer, out the primer bulb? any cracks or holes that aren't supposed to be there? then that needs replacing if it does, doesn't run gas everywhere does it? anyway, what brand engine is on it?

Visiting Guest

12-19-05, 11:54 AM   #3  
adg657
I think it is a Tecumseh, but I can not find an identiier label on the engine.

I checked the primer bulb and it is okay as far as I can see. When the gas was spitting out of it, it was coming out of the tiny hole in the center of the bulb.

Thanks for your reply

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-19-05, 10:32 PM   #4  
Your needle is not sealeing the fuel flow inside the carb. It could be because of a bad float (shake it near your ear and listen for gas sloshing in it...if so, it's bad), or it could be that the needle and seat need to be replaced.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

11-28-07, 08:08 PM   #5  
Leaking gas from Bowl Drain Assembly - Craftsman Snowblower

My 10 year old Craftsman 5 HP snowblower(536.8861440) is leaking gasoline from the bowl drain assembly at the bottom of the carb(plunger with spring).

It runs great, and starts on teh first pull. Full power under load.

Do you have any idea if this is a drain plunger gasket issue? I seem some early post about this issue. I would appreciate aanyone's help our guidance.

NY

11-29-07, 04:24 PM   #6  
You need to purchase a Tecumseh 27554, bowl drain gasket (seal). You'll remove the cap from the spring so that you can remove the drain pin and install the new gasket.

Search this Thread