Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Throttle Doesn't Work on old Sno-Thro

Visiting Guest

12-22-05, 10:22 AM   #1  
max_power
Throttle Doesn't Work on old Sno-Thro

I am working on a 1986 Ariens Sno-Thro with a 3.5 hp Tecumseh engine. The model number for the engine is HSK35-45589R. The model number for this carb is 632378A. It had not been run in 8 years when I got it. I had to take the carb apart and clean it out with carb cleaner before it would run.

When I first started dialing the carb settings I was doing it without the air box covering the carb. (I didn't know the box would effect the settings at the time) I was able to dial it in with a with setting that were about .25 turns richer than recommended. (recommended is 1 turn out on the idle and 1.5 on the main) It ran GREAT! When I would lift the throttle lever it would idle up to high rpms smooth as butter.

Before I continue I need to say this:
The throttle assembly goes like this:
Throttle lever Spring Throttle connecting arm Throttle linkage Wire Throttle

Then I put the air box over the carb, thinking my work here was done. Not so. I guess the air box restricts just enough air to make a difference, so I had to lean out my setting to the 1/1.5 setting to get it to run smoothly. However, I noticed that my throttle lever was set to idle but it was giving me much higher RPMs than with the air box off. I then tried to open the throttle lever up... No change. No matter what throttle position I put the lever in, it just continued to idle at a relativly fast pace.

When I move the throttle lever to the open position the spring just expands, but the Throttle connecting arm does not move. I can reach in and pull the Throttle connecting arm with my finger then it opens up right away.

Is it possible that the spring attaching the two levers on a twenty year old machine is just fatigued? Or could there be something else at play here?

Sponsored Links

CANADA

12-22-05, 02:17 PM   #2  
max
Without seeing a picture of the throttle assy all I can say is when you put the heat shroud(air box?) on, it must be binding with something. When you set up a carb with out the shroud,yes, you may have some changes ,albeit minor, when you put it back on but it should not interfere with the controls. I just redid a 3.5 hp Ariens last year but it had the throttle control lever system mounted on the starter shroud.
If you have a pic, I would love to see it so I may be able to get some furthur insight.

snoman

Search this Thread