2 Cycle Clutch Removal

Old 12-24-05, 03:49 AM
2 Cycle Clutch Removal

Hello all and Cheese! I've learned to fix almost any small engine mainly by asking questions here. I've been doing it about 2 years now. I've run across a problem that I haven't faced before so I hope you can help again. I have an IDC 520 supreme Model 520-2 String Trimmer on the bench. I was going to tear it down for parts (I've never even heard of IDC before being given 2 of them) however, I found good spark and great compression. The carb is in excellent condition! I must remove the clutch to be able to remove the cowling. I've never removed a clutch that is designed this way. I've seen a lot but never needed to remove one. It has a long nose that the trimmer's drive slides into. At the bottom of this part of the clutch is a fastner? I've tried torex, hex and a flat head. What do I need to use? It looks like a flat head should do it but I can't get one into the opening that is wide enough to span the fastner. I had to grind an old flathead just to get it to fit? None of my other tools will fit down the throat? Is there a special tool? As always, my thanks, Ron!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-05, 03:46 PM
Never Mind !

Well it's amazing what a thin line 88 cent flathead srewdriver will do. I got the clutch off, set the flywheel gap and after a carb kit, fuel filter and lines and a new plug she runs like a new one! Can anybody tell me about IDC? The String trimmers look old but are VERY WELL made. the shaft and business end are made like a tank. I've just never seen one? Thx, Ron

Old 12-24-05, 07:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi Ron!

Glad you got it off. IDC was also Ryan and I believe they made some equipment under the Singer name. I think they are now Ryobi. I'm not fond of them personally.

Hope you have a great Christmas!

Old 12-24-05, 07:16 PM
cylinder points downwards? carb bolts to the crankcase? 31cc's? ryobi, craftsman and mtd's and ryans used em. rally ropers and such. engine design stayed the same.... model airplane flyers use the engines in their planes as well with bigger carbs and free flowing exhaust (epa has really dumbed them down). own one new one on a troybilt one......so far its done great.....good power once broken in, muffler removed gets used as a brushcutter.

Old 12-31-05, 03:19 AM
Amazing

I'm only now reading your post VbDriver! My neighbor wants to build an RC Boat and asked me to provide an engine...I took this IDC, put a larger carb on it, removed the muffler and fashioned an exhaust port! I had no idea the flyers like them as well? I took a new idea I picked up from cheese to tune the exhaust (I don't even know if tuning a 2 cycle is necessary, but I have too much time on my hands). Cheese was telling a young man how to tune a briggs. Take a properly threaded steel pipe and paint it with cheap paint, start the engine and where the paint starts to burn off is where you need to cut the pipe off??? I did this for grins with the IDC and lost RPM...changed to a rectangle tube as is the shap of the 2 cycle exhaust and got nearly 400 RPM increase? ANYWAY I appreciate the information you provided about this engine. I will now provide the boat builder with another engine and donate this engine to the local flying club. Anyone reading this who has an engine or two think about donating them to your local RC flying club IF THEY HAVE A PLANE AND TEACHER FOR UNDERPRIVILIGED KIDS TO USE FOR FREE? !!!

Old 12-31-05, 02:42 PM
well they use many different engines, even poulans, if its a 2 cycle, they'd probablly use it if they can and it fits..... have a old featherlite as well, wouldn't beleive how much it helped to just open the muffler up..... as for the exhaust, it does help to match em up to the port (less restriction)