Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

kohler engine won't start

Visiting Guest

12-29-05, 09:37 PM   #1  
hafter
kohler engine won't start

craftsman mower with kohler 20 hp v pro command. vertical shaft. 247 run hours. well maintained. No problems until the engine suddenly made loud rattling noise. Engine turned off in 2-3 seconds. Engine turns over at normal speed but won't start. It makes no noise while turning over. I have never worked on small engines. I am currently unemployed and would appreciate any guidence in determining what the problem is.

Sponsored Links

12-29-05, 10:03 PM   #2  
hate to make it sound bad, but it does kinda sound internal damage went on, not sure, your gonna have to check, see if the pistons move up and down when turned over by hand, checking through the plug hole

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-30-05, 12:00 AM   #3  
I agree, was it low on oil? Sounds like something came apart inside. Check for compression. Remove each spark plug and put a finger over the spark plug hole and spin the engine. If you feel air push past your finger, at least the piston is still connected. Try on both sides and post with the results.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

12-30-05, 05:02 AM   #4  
if it's a cv20 it's an overhead valve engine. check the rocker arms. some also had valve cover mounted fuel pumps that would fail and puke gas into the crankcase. not a good thing.

Visiting Guest

01-01-06, 10:24 PM   #5  
hafter
thanks V8driver, Cheese, Flopshot. I will follow your suggestions as soon as the weather clears up a bit. Happy New Year to all

Search this Thread