MTD snowblower auger question

Old 12-30-05, 06:47 AM
cheeseheaddan
Visiting Guest
MTD snowblower auger question

When I start my snowblower (single stage), I can engage the auger-and it will rotate. As soon as it hits snow, the auger stops rotating. Last winter, in some heavy wet snow, the auger first had this problem. I thought it was the belt, and replaced it becuase the old one was frayed. It did not fix anything.

I am guessing it is possibly a shear pin, but would like some advice before I tear everything apart. Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-05, 07:23 AM
sounds like your on the right track. with a broken shear pin the auger may still turn, but with no ability to do any real work.

Old 12-30-05, 09:14 AM
cheeseheaddan
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by flopshot
sounds like your on the right track. with a broken shear pin the auger may still turn, but with no ability to do any real work.
I checked the shear pins on the pulley (2 piece pulley wheel), they are fine. Is there any other shear pins that you can think of? This is a Tecumseh engine. Thanks for replying.

Old 12-30-05, 11:51 AM
i'm not to familiar with snow blowers in general. not much need here in nc. there has to be a connection between the auger and the engine. shear pins are a last ditch effort to save parts being over taxed or damged. follow the drivetrain from the auger to the engine. right angle drives, belts, jackshafts, etc. the fact that the auger moves when not under load tells me that there is not a broken or missing component. maybe a lost set screw, sheared key in a drive pulley or sprocket. disconnect the spark plug wire and ground it to the engine. start at the auger and move it by hand. observing the drive train, try to prevent each component from moving. be sure the auger system is engaged. it may help to have assitance moving the auger while you observe. good luck
ps locate your model's illustrated parts list at www.mtdproducts.com

Old 12-30-05, 02:34 PM
I'll guess that the control cable is not operating fully and is need of replacement. There should be, however, an adjustment for such cable and this could simply fix your trouble. Follow the cable along it's path and look for any alternate holes as an adjustment. In other words, reduce any slack present in the cable.