Tecumseh 8.5hp stalling under load

Old 01-01-06, 03:04 PM
Tecumseh 8.5hp stalling under load

Hi, i've got a problem with my MTD snowblower. I have just had the carb rebuilt because of a problem i was having before. It would run great for about 10 min. and then all of a sudden just stall out, start it back up, stalls out with-in a min. Thinking it was crap in the carb, i had it rebuilt. It idles better now, but as soon I a start the auger and hit a big snowbank, the engine RPM eventually goes down until it stalls, I really dont get it. It was bogging down with 3 inchs of snow today so i'm afraid of this foot that is suppose to be here monday night.

i would greatly appreciate any help from the experts

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-06, 04:26 PM
Tecumseh stalling?

I'm not an expert by any means-but-
Was gas tank full of gas? Gas cap might be plugged and be
vapor locked. As gas is used, the air can't get in to replace the gas.
Sort of like,turning a gallon jug, full of water upside down.
Gets a good flow then nothing, but burps. Try running it again,when
it starts stalling, loosen the cap. See if it makes a difference.
Other wise check the gas tank, might be something that covers
the outlet hole on bottom of tank. Rust, scale or old piece of gasket
or small kids toy? (JUST KIDDING) Rubber fuel line might be pinched,restricting gas flow?
When installing fuel line.was end of
line in good shape? Hose wasn't cut on the nipple and a piece
is restricting flow? Fuel filter (if it has one) getting plugged?
Just reread your post: Were all the linkages,springs and adjustment screws
put back in the same place?
Cheese and Puey will be along later.
Hope you get it running!! Shoveling is not the answer. HA HA HA!!
Those were my $0.02 worth
T.J.

Last edited by bmwe0692; 01-01-06 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Reread post
Old 01-01-06, 05:13 PM
thanks for the info, so this sounds like a gas issue then huh, the gas line had been eatin by mice this year, so we cut the bad part out, and put a piece to connect the two pieces together. Could this be restricting gas by that much, it was a plastic piece, then we just clamped it. Its not sqeezing the hose at all that i can see, and the plastic piece fit in perfect.

also, the only thing that i had connect was an arm for the throttle control, seemed like it was in working condition, although after it warms up the control doesn't work anymore and revs fairly high (which i'd think would help my situation anyway). The control does work if i drop it all the way down to shut blower down.

Old 01-01-06, 07:28 PM
Tecumseh stalling

Post the numbers, off of the shroud.
Should be model,code and type.
The numbers will help the others get a better idea
of where to look and help you.
T.J.

Old 01-01-06, 11:23 PM
might as well go get some new gasline, small engine shops have big rolls of fuel line cheap..... could have very well gotten bits of the fuel line, into the carb. and get a inline fuel filter..... measure the amount you need ( buy more then what you may need) then cut it in half, install the filter, then install the gasline

Old 01-02-06, 08:19 AM
Sounds as though you may have disturbed the governor adjustment and/or the linkage placement in addition to having fuel line issues. Go to your local Tecumseh dealer and buy a 740049, service manual, as this will help in the above potential problems. Hopefully, the carburetor service was done well and you don't still have carburetor issues.

Old 01-02-06, 09:43 AM
Exclamation

ok, here on the specs on the engine i found

Engine model - HMsk45-155905B (H)
Engine fam- ITPXSX.3182BF
Displacement- 318
DOM - 1233

Now, im very new at this and appreciate all the responses. Where is the goverer and how do i adjust it? Could it be the low and high RPM adjustment screws maybe?

We are now expecting over a foot of heavy wet snow by tomm afternoon, i think im in some serious trouble

thanks for anyhelp

Old 01-03-06, 11:11 AM
OK, it appears i'm having govenor trouble

it appears to be my govenor that is causeing the problems. I dont understand why the throtle on it works when it is not running, but as soon as i start it up, the arm gets stuck open for some reason and i cant adjust the RPM by the lever anymore. The linkage looks ok, i sprayed a lil oil on it. Is it just an adjustment i need to make? I've tried adjusting the idle screw with it running, didn't get it unstuck

again, thanks for the help

Old 01-03-06, 02:05 PM
tool
After reading your dilemma numerous times, I went and looked at the parts breakdown for that engine (by the way, it is an hmsk85) If I'm correct with your throttle/governor hookup, it works on a spring loaded arm which is attached to the starter housing. Normally when you remove the carb, which you did, you will notice the spring loaded arm which also has the governor link attached to it,will drop down and point towards the bottom of the engine. When reassembling everything, it is very easy to hook everything up with this arm still facing the bottom. The motor will run, you'll not get full 3600 RPMS but it will rev. and you will not get any use out of the governor system. If I'm correct in this assumption, then all you have to do is remove either the throttle control/spring loaded arm and position the arm in the upwards position or carb so you can work freely around the unit.
I hope this helps.

snoman

Old 01-03-06, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by snoman
The motor will run, you'll not get full 3600 RPMS but it will rev. and you will not get any use out of the governor system. If I'm correct in this assumption, then all you have to do is remove either the throttle control/spring loaded arm and position the arm in the upwards position or carb so you can work freely around the unit.
I hope this helps.

snoman
this is exactly right, i will try this tomm.

will let u know if that was it

Search this Thread