Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Seized Engine

01-02-06, 02:39 PM   #1  
Seized Engine

In the fall I got myself a snowthrower from one of those airline/hotel milage awards programs. (Tecumseh LH195SP engine)
I didn't use it more than about two hours when it froze up! The engine was locked up tight even though there was plenty of oil in the crankcase. It looked like I may have overloaded it since the bearing on the pulley side failed.
I took it apart and found that the internals were in good shape except for the bearing/cover. The head, piston, cylinder, conrod bearing all in good shape.
At one point during the repair both valve lifters slid out of the crankcase and I may have put them back wrong thinking they were the same length.
I purchased a new cover and gasket, cleaned the crank, reassembled the engine, and put in some fresh synthetic Briggs & Stratton oil and tried to start it.
It sputtered and started but would not stay running. It would backfire through the carb.
My questions: Are the timing marks on the cam/crank gears aligned or are they one tooth off? I put it together with the marks aligned.
Are the valve lifters the same length?

Sponsored Links

01-02-06, 05:37 PM   #2  
valve lifters should be the same (not sure, don't work on tec's hardly) though the valves could be out of adjustment, check the flywheel key just in case of a partially sheared key. if you lined the marks up, they should be good

CANADA

01-02-06, 05:52 PM   #3  
Yeah, looks like both valve lifters are the same.

NY

01-03-06, 03:02 AM   #4  
You most likely did shear the flywheel key and thereby threw off the ignition timing. When reinstalling the 'wheel, be sure to torque the nut to 40 ft./lbs.

01-04-06, 03:59 PM   #5  
seized engine

Posted By: v8driver valve lifters should be the same (not sure, don't work on tec's hardly) though the valves could be out of adjustment, check the flywheel key just in case of a partially sheared key. if you lined the marks up, they should be good
The flywheel key is OK. I had the flywheel off when I took the Crank out.
the blower was running like a dream until I overladed it and burned the pulley bearing so I think the valves should be set OK. Like I said, I only have a couple hours on this machine.

01-04-06, 04:05 PM   #6  
seized engine

Posted By: puey61 You most likely did shear the flywheel key and thereby threw off the ignition timing. When reinstalling the 'wheel, be sure to torque the nut to 40 ft./lbs.
The key is good. I had the flywheel off when I pulled the crank. I read somwhere that the cam gear teeth are installed one tooth off on Tecumsehs with "float type" carb. Does that make sense? And which way?

Search this Thread