Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman/Tecumseh Generator Quieting

01-08-06, 08:34 AM   #1  
Craftsman/Tecumseh Generator Quieting

I have a loud Sears Craftsman 2500 watt generator with a 6.0 HP Tecumseh OHV engine, and am seeking a modified muffler extension to bring down the noise. The muffler output is Tecumseh part Screen Type 36085. Does anyone know of an accessory, perhaps in the RV world, to help out here?

Sponsored Links

01-09-06, 05:30 AM   #2  
generators that size are difficult to retro with larger exaust systems. i have installed larger lawn tractor mufflers to larger generators with full cages. the problem is attachment points. you can't secure the muffler to anything that is seperate from the motor, and most motors are vibration isolated from the frame. you will most likely also need to fabricate a manifold to connect to the engine. check with a local tecemseh dealer for available muffler upgrades that are bolt on's. not as quiet, but some improvement.

NY

01-10-06, 11:49 AM   #3  
FYI, Tecumseh has no other muffler as an option. The PART number you refereced is the spark arrestor screen, only. Not the muffler, that is part number 37596A.

01-11-06, 03:27 PM   #4  
I sincerely appreciate y'all getting back to me. Knowing that there is no conventional solution, I'll explore other more innovative ways to help solve this problem . . . like welding a pipe extension to the spark arrestor and feeding it into a baffled box of some sort. Again . . . thanks

01-11-06, 07:15 PM   #5  
it will help but remember all that is going to shake with the block. consider some small diameter flex pipe, a heat shield, and fuel tank location. don't allow too much back pressure. look at some of the off the shelf mufflers for the older Kohler singles. good luck

Search this Thread