Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowblower engine size compatability

Visiting Guest

01-08-06, 11:16 AM   #1  
jpgoodnu
Snowblower engine size compatability

I would like to know what size/family engines are compatible to use to replace a 8HP Tecumseh snow king model#HM80-155361N, Ser#8245R. It is on a 88/89 Simplicity 860. I haven't removed it yet, so I don't know any of the engine specs-Shaft size,etc. I am hoping to go bigger(maybe 13HP) Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jpgoodnu; 01-08-06 at 02:23 PM.

Sponsored Links

01-09-06, 05:21 AM   #2  
most likely bigger won't work. crank diameter, loacation, etc. check with your local honda engine dealer for a replacement 8 hp gx series. you'll be happy with it.

Visiting Guest

01-09-06, 06:10 AM   #3  
jpgoodnu
The crank size isn't that big of a concern since I have now found 3 sources for pulleys "By Dimension" with several choices for a 1" shaft. I don't know the bolt pattern measurements(still on machine) to compare.

NY

01-10-06, 11:45 AM   #4  
The engine mounts the same on a 13 horse as does an 8 horse. The only difference there might be (and i'm unsure since I don't currently have a 13 horse on hand to measure) is the height at the center of the crankshaft, although I believe they're the same.

02-04-06, 04:37 AM   #5  
The shaft height on HMSK80-110 are the same 4.176". I think the larger engines are 4.4 or 4.6. Changing shaft height on a snow blower is not fun, and results in non-standard belts, etc.

I think the large B&S Intek Snow wngines have the correct shaft height, but have a different mounting pattern. That's pretty easy to accomplish.

Most on-line vendors have line drawings, and also have notes, like "Shaft height is 4.17". Mounting holes will have to be redrilled if you are replacing a Tecumseh engine."

I called Tecumseh and B&S customer service when I wanted to replace an old Tecumseh H50 on an old Ariens. Tecumseh was helpful, B&S was really helpful and even sent a data sheet on what was required.

Visiting Guest

02-04-06, 11:20 AM   #6  
jpgoodnu
I have purchased a 11HP Briggs Snow Engine(couldn't pass up the deal!!) to replace my old 8HP Tecumseh Snow King. I have been told by more than one dealer who sell Simplicity that they use either engine interchangeably when one supplier can't meet their needs. I am hoping that the swap won't be a NIGHTMARE. The things we do for MORE POWER?!

02-04-06, 02:36 PM   #7  
Some Simplicity machines had brackets and/or mounting holes for both, so you may luck out. Drilling new monuting holes is about as easy as it gets. You can buy spacers if the B&S is too low.

The older Ariens machines had a straight chute crank that doesn't work with OHV engines. I bought some u-joints and routed it like the newer models. Doesn't sound like you'll have that issue to face.

Search this Thread