Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Conversion to Track Drive

Visiting Guest

01-09-06, 03:56 AM   #1  
jpgoodnu
Conversion to Track Drive

Has anyone out there converted from wheel drive to Track drive? WHat's involved?

Sponsored Links

01-09-06, 05:18 AM   #2  
what are you trying to convert ?

Visiting Guest

01-09-06, 06:08 AM   #3  
jpgoodnu
I want to eliminate the tires and convert to trac drive. I have a 1988 Simplicity model 860(probably don't want to mess with her) a 2002/2003 MTD 8HP 24"cut(likely candidate) and 1964? Ariens 624?(possible candidate)

01-09-06, 09:09 AM   #4  
the problem with track drive is you must be able to isolate the drive system from each side. track drives turn by braking or stopping one side and allowing the other to 'slide' the vehicle. try to find something that uses independent hydro wheel motors like many of the zero turn radius commercial mowers. that's the easy part. then you have to find tracks and a way to mount them, adjust tension, and drive them. this is not going to be a simple task.

NY

01-10-06, 11:25 AM   #5  
The drive train of a wheel drive unit has a final ratio much greater than a track drive unit and therefore even if you were to attempt this (and I wouldn't, unless it is an experimental, fun project), you will wind up with a very fast ground speed...not well useable in actual conditions. We tried the vice-versa of what you want to do and the machine barely crept along, even in top gear.

01-12-06, 01:32 PM   #6  
At sears we have changed the older track drives (non steerable)to wheel drives because it is simple and a better system. You slide the tracs off the axle, put on some spacers to keep the tire from rubbing on the body. drill the axle to lock the wheels--done. The older trac drive from sears was so heavy and awkward, most folks hated it. It was very hard to turn. If the engine quit 100 yards from your house you left it there or drug it with a vehicle. The newer track drives icorporate 'steerable trac' which is another story. We have never had problems with a speed change tho?? The track drive always went slower than the conversion to wheels. From my experience, If you don't have steerable trac, you will hate trac drive.

S/T

01-18-06, 03:49 AM   #7  
I removed the track drive from my Craftsman 10/32. As SuperTech stated, some spacers for the wheels were required. The drive ratio seems fine. This conversion changed my machine from one I absolutely hated to use to one that is much easier to use. [ Can't say it's totally easy to use since it is still a very large and heavy machine. ] As mentioned, without a steering mechanism to power each track, steering was horrible. The most efficent way to turn it was to lift the tracks off the ground and swivel it around on the blower housing. Required strong arms and left a stiff back. With the wheels, I can tip it back slightly and pivot it much easier than before. Converting it was the best thing I ever did. My wheels were purchased new at a local White Outdoor [MTD] dealer and slid on perfectly. I strongly suggest you try to use a tracked blower before you attempt a conversion. You may not like the results.

Search this Thread