What could be wrong with this B&S

Old 01-14-06, 06:51 AM
What could be wrong with this B&S

I'm lookng at a piece of lawn equipment that the owner claims that the engine bad. It is 3 years old and has a B&S 5.5 OHV engine. I don't have the numbers. The owner claims that it was run with a dirty air filter and that is what distroyed the engine. He claims that the short block needs to be replaced. What are some things that could be damaged on an engine if it was run with a dirty air filter.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-06, 07:15 AM
a clogged filter may have failed and allowed dirt to enter the top end. depending on how long this went on, you are looking at valves,valve guides, valve seats, piston, rings, and a worn bore. not worth repair. short block or complete engine. if you go complete save the old engine for parts. carb, fuel tank, starter, coil, etc.

Old 01-14-06, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the fast reply Flopshot. You are saying that the engine is not worth repairing as is.Ok. But i could replace the short block or replace with complete engine. Or is it not worth it to replacing shortblock.

Old 01-14-06, 07:59 AM
shortblock would be fine if all the other components are good. you will transfer at least the following: exaust, coil, fuel tank, starter and shroud, carburator and associated parts, misc. sheet metal and such. i'm not sure if your engine's short block comes with a head (ohv) i've never short blocked one like you have. in the past briggs L heads came without the head. by definition, at least in a shop, short blocks are provided by the OEM as a means of satisfying a warranty situation at a lower cost. the OEM doesn't pay the mechanic crap for the job and the OEM saves money on the parts. we stopped short blocking for end users years ago. even on the larger twins we try to go complete engine because of wasted time cleaning and the potential of discovering other failed parts in the process. if you post your numbers i can look them up for short block availability.

Old 01-14-06, 05:20 PM
i'd just take it about half apart, carb, head, etc. dirty filter could be two things..... he never changed it, clogged up over time, and can't get enough air in to run, or the airfilter got a hole in it and dirt got in.....depends, it'll have to be looked at first before you go into anything else. or have you already done so? then yeah, either short block it, or used engine if the filter wasn't filtering the dirt out.

Old 01-14-06, 08:51 PM
Have you tried to start it? Wouldn't it be wise to do that first and establish any claims the previous owner made? He could be full of ---- and the engine may be perfect. I would get it running first and if it won't run then do the necessary trouble shooting to find out why and repair it to run. Only then can you make a decision on whether or not repair is feasable.

S/T

Old 01-16-06, 04:45 AM
with no AF the engine may of experienced a great deal of wear, but it should start and run. I assume that there is a carb issue.

steps:

1- measure compression (60-100psi)
2- does it have good spark
3- is the timing correct / OK
4- remove s-plug and put a little gas in the cylinder, it should run 10secs.
5- then there is a carb issue

I agree with prev post that you need to run or find out why engine does not run.