Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ariens Snow Blower - Lack of Drive Problem

01-25-06, 09:46 AM   #1  
Ariens Snow Blower - Lack of Drive Problem

I bought an Ariens ST524 which was in "basket case" condition in the fall of 04. I obtained the exploded parts list and easily got it back in running condition, complete with new paint! I used it a bunch towards the end of December in 04 and luckily haven't needed it since. But, the last time I used it, the self-propelling drive continually got weaker and weaker, then quit altogether. As I am a tight wad, which translates into not wanting to pay someone else to fix something I could do myself, I'm wanting to know if anyone knows what the problem is? I'm planning on tearing into the drive unit this week, but I'm not so sure I'm going to know what to look for! Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links

NY

01-25-06, 12:07 PM   #2  
There are two main areas that you need to look at. The belt and the drive disc, with the disc the most likely cause. Whether or not it needs to be replaced or simply adjusted will have to be determined. First though, take off the belt cover/guard and inspect the wheel drive belt for wear (cracks, cords exposed or glazing) and if so, replace it. If all appears well with the belt then it's time to check out the condition and adjustment of the rubber drive disc. Depending on the age of the unit will determine the adjustment procedures. What is the model and serial of the chassis? This will help us to help you out better and further.

01-25-06, 01:34 PM   #3  
Thanks!

The model # is 924046 and the serial # is 008257.
I put a new drive belt on it when I was rebuilding it, and the tension seems correct.

NY

01-26-06, 03:03 AM   #4  
With this model you could have an issue with the drive plate frozen up. On this model the plate moves to the drive disc, not vice-versa. With a second person (you can do this yourself but it is easier with two), and with the transmission cover removed watch the movement of the disc plate and be sure it is freely moving. If not, a good dose of WD will help free it up (at the bearing carrier area). If this appears good then perhaps it just needs an adjustment. Standing at the rear of the unit, look at the point where the drive clutch rod joins a bracket at the frame. At this point you will see an adjustment nut and it is this nut that needs to be turned in a little at a time. Adjust, try...adjust, try...adjust, try. There may be a jam nut on the back side of the adjuster which you will need to loosen and move before any adjustment can be made. With the wheels off the ground and rocking the rubber disc back and forth, slowly squeeze the clutch lever down and you want the plate to contact the disc at the halfway stroke of the clutch lever. Take a close look and you'll figure it out.

01-27-06, 05:51 AM   #5  
Thanks for the Info!

I found the problem!
The arm (clutch fork?) that moves the spindle back had a broken weld on it. When I pushed down on the engagement handle, nothing happened. Looked like a very poor weld from the factory. I don't really understand how it was working halfway before it quit altogether, but I welded it up, squirted WD-40 on the spindle, and I'm ready for snow!
Thanks again,
Bob

NY

01-27-06, 12:29 PM   #6  
Great news! Glad you got it.

Search this Thread