flywhell on homelite

Old 01-25-06, 06:09 PM
flywhell on homelite

i have a homelite super 2 chainsaw i broke a fin off of the flywheel will the broken fin hurt the performance of the saw. do you think i need to replace it. if so need some advice how to get it off.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-06, 09:30 PM
it would be off balance just a little, would still cool the engine pretty much the same. others will give their thoughts, but i've run some missing two or three fins, until they wore out.

Old 01-26-06, 02:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you want this saw to last, I would definitely replace it, since it throws the balance off, and will wear out the bearings and/or crankshaft. A damaged flywheel isn't really safe either because of the chance of a crack or the development of a crack that could cause the flywheel to explode while the engine is running, sending hunks of shrapnel flying out at you.

Old 01-29-06, 07:41 AM
i tried to get flywheel off but it would not move any ideas how to get it off.

Old 01-29-06, 09:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually you can put some pulling pressure on the flywheel, and bump the crankshaft downwards with a piece of wood to get it loose.

Old 01-30-06, 04:22 PM
same here, pry up on it all the way around with a flat head screwdriver,and tapping on the crank, rubber mallet, wood. something soft.

Old 01-31-06, 11:15 AM
I've had plenty of luck with vice grips,punch & hammer.Place two vice grip plirs on flywheel fins 180' from one another,then while some one else holds the plairs with engine bout 1-2 inches from beanch place punch in dimple of crankshaft & hit with hammer.It'll come off within two knocks.

Search this Thread