Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ariens ST824 8hp Engine Problem

01-26-06, 05:28 AM   #1  
Ariens ST824 8hp Engine Problem

I have an 8hp Tecumseh on an Ariens ST824 SnowBlower. The problem is that the bolt ear on the block that the carb manifold attaches to broke off.
I guess my question is, Has anyone ever run into this problem an fixed it ??? This is a very strong engine and I would hate to have to replace the block/engine because of this problem.

Sponsored Links

NY

01-26-06, 10:53 AM   #2  
Of course, stay tuned for anyone that has been in this situation and repaired such AND it has worked. I don't think you should "repair" it even if someone tells you they could. It's the intake and if it isn't done properly then you will develop a lean condition and this is not good for an internal combustion engine. Eventually, if indeed lean, you will burn the components in the combustion chamber and likely even more damage could be sustained in the crankcase. The only part you would need to replace is the cylinder block (and of course related gaskets) but may elect to install a shortblock, depending on the age of the engine.

01-27-06, 03:59 AM   #3  
There is a low temp aluminum brazing rod that could be useful. The problem with replacing just the block is landing up with used parts failing and setting you back to square one. A short block is a better choice for repair.

Since replacing the entire engine is half the price of a new machine, it is a hard decision to make. But being from very frugel stock myself, I think you have very little to lose by trying to repair your motor. After all, it is basically junk now.

01-27-06, 06:52 AM   #4  
Posted By: JLOpower There is a low temp aluminum brazing rod that could be useful. The problem with replacing just the block is landing up with used parts failing and setting you back to square one. A short block is a better choice for repair.

Since replacing the entire engine is half the price of a new machine, it is a hard decision to make. But being from very frugel stock myself, I think you have very little to lose by trying to repair your motor. After all, it is basically junk now.
This is exactly what I was thinking. This engine is unusable in the state it sits now. I will see if I can get an ear TIG welded back on, then drill and tap. I guess this is my best solution for cheap. Thanks

01-27-06, 11:42 AM   #5  
Posted By: 99venomsvt This is exactly what I was thinking. This engine is unusable in the state it sits now. I will see if I can get an ear TIG welded back on, then drill and tap. I guess this is my best solution for cheap. Thanks
Tig welding is the ultimate answer and a welder experienced in using one will be able to fill in all the neccesary material to allow you to drill and re-tap the mounting. I was thinking along the lines of a do-it-yourself-at-home type repair. Good thinking!

NY

01-27-06, 12:22 PM   #6  
If you elect to have it TIG'd professionally AND you have to pay full-shot for such (in other words, you don't have a friend in the business) AND you may need to pay to have it drilled and tapped (bolt hole center to center is somewhat critical) then you need to add up these costs versus the cost of a new block which is typically around $185. BTW, a shortblock is around $265. These prices are general and not specific to your engine since you didn't post a model and specification number of your engine.

01-30-06, 05:56 AM   #7  
Posted By: puey61 If you elect to have it TIG'd professionally AND you have to pay full-shot for such (in other words, you don't have a friend in the business) AND you may need to pay to have it drilled and tapped (bolt hole center to center is somewhat critical) then you need to add up these costs versus the cost of a new block which is typically around $185. BTW, a shortblock is around $265. These prices are general and not specific to your engine since you didn't post a model and specification number of your engine.
Picked up the phone and called the first welding place listed in the phone book. Dropped the engine off and then picked it back up about two hours later fix for $45. Welded, smoothed, drilled and tapped not to bad.

NY

02-01-06, 02:58 AM   #8  
Awsome! Wish we had a local welder/fabricator that had those prices.

02-01-06, 05:56 AM   #9  
Posted By: puey61 Awsome! Wish we had a local welder/fabricator that had those prices.
I was really lucky with this fix. I fired the engine last night and it runs really well. I little fine tuning and it will be ready for the snow later this week.

Thanks to everone, this board is really a help when you really need some answers.

Search this Thread