Ariens ST824 8hp Engine Problem

Reply

  #1  
Old 01-26-06, 05:28 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 21
Ariens ST824 8hp Engine Problem

I have an 8hp Tecumseh on an Ariens ST824 SnowBlower. The problem is that the bolt ear on the block that the carb manifold attaches to broke off.
I guess my question is, Has anyone ever run into this problem an fixed it ??? This is a very strong engine and I would hate to have to replace the block/engine because of this problem.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-26-06, 10:53 AM
puey61's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 3,224
Of course, stay tuned for anyone that has been in this situation and repaired such AND it has worked. I don't think you should "repair" it even if someone tells you they could. It's the intake and if it isn't done properly then you will develop a lean condition and this is not good for an internal combustion engine. Eventually, if indeed lean, you will burn the components in the combustion chamber and likely even more damage could be sustained in the crankcase. The only part you would need to replace is the cylinder block (and of course related gaskets) but may elect to install a shortblock, depending on the age of the engine.
 
  #3  
Old 01-27-06, 03:59 AM
JLOpower's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 106
There is a low temp aluminum brazing rod that could be useful. The problem with replacing just the block is landing up with used parts failing and setting you back to square one. A short block is a better choice for repair.

Since replacing the entire engine is half the price of a new machine, it is a hard decision to make. But being from very frugel stock myself, I think you have very little to lose by trying to repair your motor. After all, it is basically junk now.
 
  #4  
Old 01-27-06, 06:52 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by JLOpower
There is a low temp aluminum brazing rod that could be useful. The problem with replacing just the block is landing up with used parts failing and setting you back to square one. A short block is a better choice for repair.

Since replacing the entire engine is half the price of a new machine, it is a hard decision to make. But being from very frugel stock myself, I think you have very little to lose by trying to repair your motor. After all, it is basically junk now.
This is exactly what I was thinking. This engine is unusable in the state it sits now. I will see if I can get an ear TIG welded back on, then drill and tap. I guess this is my best solution for cheap. Thanks
 
  #5  
Old 01-27-06, 11:42 AM
JLOpower's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 106
Originally Posted by 99venomsvt
This is exactly what I was thinking. This engine is unusable in the state it sits now. I will see if I can get an ear TIG welded back on, then drill and tap. I guess this is my best solution for cheap. Thanks
Tig welding is the ultimate answer and a welder experienced in using one will be able to fill in all the neccesary material to allow you to drill and re-tap the mounting. I was thinking along the lines of a do-it-yourself-at-home type repair. Good thinking!
 
  #6  
Old 01-27-06, 12:22 PM
puey61's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 3,224
If you elect to have it TIG'd professionally AND you have to pay full-shot for such (in other words, you don't have a friend in the business) AND you may need to pay to have it drilled and tapped (bolt hole center to center is somewhat critical) then you need to add up these costs versus the cost of a new block which is typically around $185. BTW, a shortblock is around $265. These prices are general and not specific to your engine since you didn't post a model and specification number of your engine.
 
  #7  
Old 01-30-06, 05:56 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by puey61
If you elect to have it TIG'd professionally AND you have to pay full-shot for such (in other words, you don't have a friend in the business) AND you may need to pay to have it drilled and tapped (bolt hole center to center is somewhat critical) then you need to add up these costs versus the cost of a new block which is typically around $185. BTW, a shortblock is around $265. These prices are general and not specific to your engine since you didn't post a model and specification number of your engine.
Picked up the phone and called the first welding place listed in the phone book. Dropped the engine off and then picked it back up about two hours later fix for $45. Welded, smoothed, drilled and tapped not to bad.
 
  #8  
Old 02-01-06, 02:58 AM
puey61's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 3,224
Awsome! Wish we had a local welder/fabricator that had those prices.
 
  #9  
Old 02-01-06, 05:56 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by puey61
Awsome! Wish we had a local welder/fabricator that had those prices.
I was really lucky with this fix. I fired the engine last night and it runs really well. I little fine tuning and it will be ready for the snow later this week.

Thanks to everone, this board is really a help when you really need some answers.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes