Craftsman pressure washer pump

Old 02-19-06, 03:38 PM
grizzley
Visiting Guest
Craftsman pressure washer pump

I have a Sears Craftsman pressure washer. It's a 7HP 3000 PSI / 2.3 GPM

Since warm water washes better, I hook it up to my hot water faucet in my garage. I know that HOT water can not go though this type of pump so I generally turn a little cold on as well to keep the temp around 130* or so.

When the water from the faucet is too hot, I see a small amout of pump oil under the pressure washer. I assume this is because some seals got too warm and became too plyable and allowed some oil to come out. I also know that the water is too hot because the thermal releif valve starts unloading water.

If I am assuming correctly, is there any way to put better seals in it? Or is there a better pump that I can put on it so that it can handle water temps of say 140-180 degrees?

Old 02-21-06, 05:43 AM
diagnosticmonke
Visiting Guest
Talking Investments

It sounds like your using it alot, so investing in a higher quality washer might be a better choice if its financially feesible. I got some old thing that heats the water as it enters the pump. Its antique but wiil certainly clean the dirt & grease ofn my boots.

Old 02-21-06, 07:07 AM
grizzley
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by diagnosticmonke
It sounds like your using it alot.
Not sure what alot is, but on average, I use it about 2 times a month. Any higher quality is going to cost in the ballpark of $1500-$2000 which is more than I am willing to put out for it.

Surely there is a hot pack or better seals that can be installed? If a higher end pressure washer can handel this, what does IT have that mine dosen't?

Old 02-21-06, 06:31 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
"Surely there is a hot pack or better seals that can be installed"
not in my experiance. take a look at the offerings from mi-t-m that's all i buy for rental anymore

Old 02-21-06, 06:46 PM
grizzley
Visiting Guest
Well, I guess my wife can kiss my ass; I'm buying one of these big units. $3000.... I better keep it hidden in the shop and only pull out the hose and NOTHING else.

Where is the best place to get the best deal?

Old 02-22-06, 05:11 AM
F
you don't need to drop 3k on a good unit.
http://www.mitm.com/series_details.a...oductLine_Id=1
this series from mi t m is a good value and i have been very pleased with factory support and parts availability.

Old 02-22-06, 06:17 AM
grizzley
Visiting Guest
So I can use water tempatures of 140-180 degrees thru that pressure washer?

Old 02-22-06, 09:43 AM
F
check the specs on any machine you are considering. your desire for 140 - 180 is a bit high. those temps are usually achieved post pump through a burner and heat exchanger. ref: hot water washers. the last two i bought were model CA 2703 OMHB and the manual states max incoming to be 125 degrees the pumps on most washers have a thermal bypass to prevent pump damage that opens at 140 anyway. so you can see the problem.

Old 02-22-06, 09:55 AM
grizzley
Visiting Guest
OK, I bought a new hot water machine.

3.5gpm @ 4000psi [adjustable] 13hp gas engine pressure control and tempature control

HEAVY SCHEDULE 80 COIL, C/W STAINLESS STEEL COIL WRAP

12" pneumatic tires, c/w 50' hose, gun, wand, 4 nozzles and soap system

$2250 delivered to my door steps.

I hope it's OK. Since I don't use it much, I am sure it will work fine.

Old 02-22-06, 09:59 AM
F
boy you are serious about cleaning stuff

Old 02-22-06, 10:03 AM
grizzley
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by flopshot
boy you are serious about cleaning stuff
No... well, OK, yes... but the biggest thing is that a tool like this is an investment, not a purchase. At least that is what I will tell my wife.

I am not sure if your comment was about the SIZE (PSI / GPM), but if so, that is the lowest price as far as I can see.

Old 02-22-06, 12:18 PM
F
i was impressed by you choice. 4k/3.5gpm is no toy, and not the typical unit purchased by homeowners or hobbyists. it sounds like a nice machine. be aware that pressure washers don't like to be ignored. i like to put mine to bed with a little 50/50 antifreeze in the pump. since you bought the hot version, i'd recomend the coil be filled as well. stabilizing the fuel and turning off the petcock to kill the engine will help too. if you will use it at least twice per month all year, don't worry about the prep. enjoy !

Old 02-22-06, 12:25 PM
grizzley
Visiting Guest
i was impressed by you choice. 4k/3.5gpm is no toy, and not the typical unit purchased by homeowners or hobbyists. it sounds like a nice machine.
I figured this price and size can't be beat. In fact, I found 1500 PSI 2 GPM for almost the same price. Spend an extra $200 and double the size.

since you bought the hot version, i'd recomend the coil be filled as well.
Yea, I'll see if I can't fuigure that out. Hopefully the coil looks like what a normal coil is, I'll douse it with anti freeze since I have no idea how "filling it" is done

turning off the petcock to kill the engine will help too.
Yea, I'll see if I cant locate the petcock. I am sure it is located on the washer and not my pet. However, I am guessing it might be a fule shutoff. And by turning it off this way, no fuel stays in the internal parts of the engine and / or burner? Just a guess so don't shoot me if I am wrong

Old 02-22-06, 01:08 PM
F
it's the fuel in the engine you want to shut off. it will go bad over time or if a needle/seat problem came up in the carb, it could fill the engine's crankcase with gasoline. the pump and coil are easy to fill. attach a funel and hose to the pump's water inlet, elevate to above the coil output fitting, and fill. it's not that important the antifreeze stays in but coats all surfaces and pump packings and disperses the water. also see your operator's manual on de-calcification of the coil to prevent super heated output.

Old 02-22-06, 01:29 PM
diagnosticmonke
Visiting Guest
High Pressure

Sounds like your going all out Grizz, The Wife will be wantin a new wardrobe now.

Old 02-22-06, 01:33 PM
grizzley
Visiting Guest
Thanks flopshot and everyone else for the help. When I get it in, I'll look it (and the manual) over. The just started building it today so it wont ship for another 2 days. If I have any questions I'll post back and see if you can't give some tips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: