Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

outdoor power equip. thoughts

MA

02-05-06, 11:00 AM   #1  
outdoor power equip. thoughts

Lately iv'e been reading trade magazines, and dealer notices and have noticed that many manufactures who like Toro,huskys,sears,ariens,J.Deere to name a few,are really owned by one,or the other manufactures.
I don't think i care for buying a more expensive Toro and find out its made by MTD. Nothing against MTD,but it seems that the name brand you buy is manufactured by 'who knows'. I also understand that the chinese are selling clones of other name brand machines in the U.S. The problem with this ,as reported,you don't know,or where to get parts,or more important if they are the same quality and compatibility.
This may explain some of the struggles getting equip. and parts. from the people who sold you your machine.
Thoughts??

Sponsored Links

02-05-06, 02:53 PM   #2  
Not Ariens. Made in USA by Muricans.

news release

Ariens Company Announces $6.5 Million Capital Investment
–Upgrades aimed at improving product delivery time –

Brillion, Wis. (Jan. 24, 2006) — In an ongoing effort to improve production efficiency, Ariens Company announced today that it will make a $6.5 million capital investment aimed at reducing delivery lead times for the company’s walk-behind power equipment products, including Sno-Thro® machines. The new production cells are scheduled to be operational for the 2006-07 Sno-Thro® production season, which will begin in May 2006.

“This investment will allow us to take on the challenges of worldwide sources of supply. It will allow us to continue to provide consumers and commercial landscape contractors with a truly American-built product,” says Dan Ariens, president of Ariens Company.

Four new powder-coating systems will be installed in the company’s Plant 3 location (1555 W. Ryan St.), allowing Ariens to convert raw materials to finished goods in a single location for all of the company’s walk-behind power equipment products, including Sno-Thro® machines, walk-behind mowers and wheeled string trimmers. To fully utilize the efficiency of the new powder-coating systems, the company is also making location changes within its plant operations that allow for fully integrated one-piece flow manufacturing.

Additional plant upgrades will include the creation of a new state-of-the-art production and engineering training facility. According to the company, the completion of this training center will provide each of its plants with independent learning centers.

“The addition of this third training facility provides opportunities for all of our associates to learn the techniques of the Ariens Production System in a classroom setting, reinforcing what they are learning as part of hands-on training,” says Ariens. It will also be used to teach the company’s 15 Guiding Principles of the Ariens management system as part of new employee orientation.”

Established in 1933 in Brillion, Wis., Ariens Company is a leading manufacturer of outdoor power equipment for both consumer and commercial use. The company’s premium brands include Ariens Sno-Thro® machines and Ariens zero-turn mowers for consumers and Gravely® commercial lawn equipment for professional landscape contractors. Ariens’ affiliate, Stens Corporation, supplies replacement parts to the outdoor power equipment industry.
# # #

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-05-06, 11:38 PM   #3  
Oh boy, it gets to be a chore just trying to keep up with who owns who anymore. I don't think there is too much of the foreign clone problem in the lawn and garden world, other than with parts.

Parts should be available for modern equipment for several years after the model has been released. One problem though, is that they keep making minor changes from year to year that make it hard to keep the parts you need on hand. Another problem with that is that you have a harder time pulling a part off a junk mower and using it to fit another mower that appears to be just like it. Some minor change causes a problem.

Personally, I'm not happy at all with the way lawn and garden equipment is going as a whole. Quality in general has turned to crap, and the effort has gone into brand names and marketing techniques, like Dual Air intakes on the flimsy plastic hood, or "turbo cool" stickers on the side of the engine when it has no different cooling system that the ones that don't say it. Or the same engine with 3 or 4 different covers on it, marketed as different engines. Or the same mower with a handful of different names on it and a hood change.

The use of names that had huge reputations, but eventually disappeared and have now reappeared on new mowers NOT made by the same company that developed that good name also dissapoints me. It's decietful. Now look, you went and got me started, lol . I'll quit griping, but I agree with your sentiment.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MA

02-06-06, 06:01 AM   #4  
Sorry Cheese to get you going! My feelings run along the same line thats why i posted the question on others thoughts.
Glad the Ariens is holding on. They have had a reputation for a long time.
The Chinese machines are basically "throw-aways" i'm reading about.

TX

02-07-06, 10:03 AM   #5  
Daswede, I totally agree with you, especially the "throwaways". I'm not sure if this is what our country as a whole wants or this is one of the few choices we're given.
I have an '81 Craftsman lawn trac. Overhauled the engine this winter and replaced some pulleys. Should get some more good years out of it. Have an '88 MTD self propelled walk behind mower for tight spots. Engine was getting tired last summer, found another identical engine at the dump w/ varnished carb but engine was like new otherwise. changed engines out w/ good carb. Should get a few more years out of that one also. I feel better off going this route than buying "throwaways".
I guess I shouldn't take for granted having the knowledge and ability to do these things. I realize some people are challenged to change a spark plug, but then they can probably do things I know nothing about.
Mike

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-07-06, 11:21 AM   #6  
What's so bad is that WE as consumers in general, are the reason manufacturers are taking the route they are. WE (not meaning you and I, but American consumers as a whole) demand the cheapest price we can find. We also like lots of features. We go buy products based on their appearance and price instead of quality. So, the manufacutrer's make their product look like we want, and they give it the features we want, but in order for them to be able to put it in the price range we want, they have to make it all out of inferior materials. Imagine if someone made a mower like they did 30 years ago, with 1/4" frame, cast iron tranny and front end, roller bearings in the wheels, real metal parts, etc... It wouldn't sell. Some people would buy it, but the cheapos would be flying out the door while the real mower sat on the showroom floor. The company would either have to change their product to compete with the cheapos, or close it's doors.

The features thing is pretty evident when you look at new mowers now. Look at how many have a cast iron front end. What good is a cast iron front end on a mower made of 12 guage sheet metal? Kind of like building a house out of toothpicks and bragging that it has 4X4 window sills.

Our shopping habits are what is pushing industry out of America, and into foreign countries. Manufacturers are having to meet our demands, and they can't do it here. So they go where labor is cheap. We're shopping ourselves out of our own jobs.

Here I am preaching again. That topic just strikes a nerve in me.

God bless!

MA

02-07-06, 12:34 PM   #7  
We are all right here. For a old " doityourself 'er", i just can't understand it.
Must be the way things are to be.
Your right in that this country is prostituting its self for the almighty buck.

Thanks to all for your inputs

daswede

02-07-06, 08:23 PM   #8  
Well today I used my new craftsman snow blower, Ny old snow blower is a Noma and I have to say I still like the old one better although its heaveier its the little things on the old one I miss like the 1 lever operation of the Noma the head light and the lever to adjust how far the snow is thrown. looks like I will just rebuild the noma this summer and let the craftsman sit in back up

Crom60

03-03-06, 03:11 AM   #9  
I have a question. What is the relationship between Toro and MTD? The reason I ask is, on a recent trip to HD I was walking past the new mower display and saw that HD now has Cub Cadet and what I thought was Troy Bilt tractors. This sort of confused me since Lowes sells Troy Bilt. So I walk over for a closer look. The tractor was not a Troy Bilt but a Toro. The thing is, the chassis, running board pads, speed control and brake pedals, and most other items are IDENTICAL to my Troy Bilt. It looks like a simple 'rehooded' MTD, also very close to a Tractor Supply Husky. I was thinking Toro/Wheel Horse/LawnBoy/eXmark was seperate and very different from MTD/Cub Cadet/Troy Bilt/Yardman/Yard Machines/Bolens/White Outdoor. There is too much similarity for it to be as simple as a common supplier. Can anyone fill me in?

03-03-06, 10:59 AM   #10  
I beleive they wanted to put out a cheaper mower to compete with the john deeres being sold there, and at lowes now, which the john deeres, look alot like a husqvarna (owned by electrolux of course, and they own AYP)

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-04-06, 12:08 AM   #11  
The way these company names are changing hands, it's hard to keep up with. At the last time I checked, Toro was not affiliated with MTD, and Deere is not affiliated with AYP.

God bless!

MI

03-05-06, 07:03 PM   #12  
Simplicity is still a good old USA company, I just read a article about them. It turns out that walmart sold snapper. Simplicity bought snapper and will not let walmart sell them anymore. Why? because walmart tried to get them to move everything to china and simplicity said the heck with you. So snapper and simplicity are not imposters. I dont know about john deere though.

03-05-06, 08:56 PM   #13  
Walmart didn't own snapper, snapper said no! to sell mowers at walmart..... since walmart is feeling the heat from lowes and hd.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...1/daily11.html
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...1/daily27.html

MI

03-06-06, 06:23 AM   #14  
From what I read simplicity bought snapper and then took them out af walmart. I dont know who owned them before, maybe snapper was owned by itself and sold to simplicity.

Does anyone know who makes the john deere lawn mowers? I know the 4000 series tractors a built by yanmar.

PA

03-06-06, 06:52 AM   #15  
Posted By: michaeljp86 From what I read simplicity bought snapper and then took them out af walmart. I dont know who owned them before, maybe snapper was owned by itself and sold to simplicity.

Does anyone know who makes the john deere lawn mowers? I know the 4000 series tractors a built by yanmar.

Deere uses Yanmar engines, but the rest of the tractor is made by Deere. Most manufacturers buy their engines elsewhere (Kawasaki, Kohler, Briggs, etc.) Deere "L" series tractors are built by Deere in a plant in Tenessee. The LT, LX, GT, GX, and X machines are made in Horicon WI, and the bigger stuff is made in Moline.

MI

03-06-06, 07:29 AM   #16  
So deere is still one of the good guys. I did hear that the deere heavy eqipment factory wich is in Iowa I think was going to brazil.

MA

03-06-06, 08:50 AM   #17  
Heres' another one to ponder. Sears ad in local newspaper this week
had a "L" brand advertized.with a B&S engine. Deere???

Yanmar is a new one on me.

MI

03-06-06, 08:57 AM   #18  
I seen some creaftsman lately that looked alot like a JD I wonder if its a sabre because it has a B&S I think the deere has a kohler or kawisaki, I dont know for sure.

03-06-06, 11:00 AM   #19  
Thats the thing, the new husqvarna's and sears craftsmans look alot like the john deeres being sold in lowes and hd now..... and we know sears mowers and huqvarnas are made by ayp, owned by electrolux.

MI

03-06-06, 11:04 AM   #20  
So is JD still making mowers?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-06-06, 10:45 PM   #21  
Deere is still making their own mowers and is not connected in any way to AYP. Deere just uses Yanmar engines in their equipment, just like they use kohlers, kawasakis, and others. Yanmars have been used in some Deere equipment for years and years.

I was told by a snapper dealer that snapper was in financial trouble when they decided to sell to w-mart. Not much longer after that, simplicity bought snapper. Now some of the snapper products are simplicity mowers with a red paint job. That's not a bad thing necessarily, though, because simplicity makes a fairly decent product. Simplicity is owned by Briggs and Stratton.

God bless!

PA

03-07-06, 06:59 AM   #22  
As stated above, Simplicity bought Snapper, and was then bought itself by Briggs & Stratten. Simplicicty also make the Lawn & Garden tractors for AGCO (formerly Allis Chalmers) and Massey Ferguson, so Briggs has jumped in the market in a fairly big way.

For what it's worth, Speedex is back in production, as is Ingersoll. But in the last 25 years we have lost Power King, the "real" Bolens, and it looks like Murray is gone based on their website not being updated since 2004. And I'm sure there are some others that have shut down that I'm forgetting.

Search this Thread