5 HP Briggs and Stratton Surging

Old 02-07-06, 08:11 AM
Question 5 HP Briggs and Stratton Surging

I was just recently given an old Poulan Alternator/Generator from the late 70's. It has a 5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine model # 130232. As old as this generator is it had never been started. I put gas in it for the first time and replaced the oil. It fired right up and works fine but the motor surges. If I adjust the needle valve in I can get it to run smooth but the RPMs are really high and I think it is running too lean at that point. I ended up having to replace the air filter as well because it falling apart. Unfortunately I had already started it so I don't know if something got sucked into the carburetor even though it was surging from the start. Any ideas what I might look for to fix the surging

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-06, 09:42 AM
Adjust needle until engine runs smooth, check voltage with voltmeter. If voltage is between 120 & 130 volts, it's probably OK. To be sure, take it to an elec repair shop that has a frequency meter to make sure it is around 60 hertz(cycles).If below 60 hertz, have governor adjusted to get it to 60 -62 hertz. Maybe someone else on the site has a "shade tree" way to check frequency. I do know that running under 60 htz is hard on elec motors, slightly above will not harm them.
Hope this helps,
Mike

Old 02-08-06, 03:00 AM
If this engine ever had fuel in it (and I'd bet it did) then you likely have a varnish issue at the throttle shaft whereas it is sticking and wanting to run WFO as well as the tiny passages are restricted, causing the surging. Removal of the carburetor and soaking in a quality bath cleaner (I like NAPA's) and rebuilding with Briggs individual parts will rectify your trouble.

Old 02-08-06, 07:07 AM
From what I have been told and from what I can tell there has never been any fuel in it. It was given to me by a guy who used to work for the company and said he never used it. I did buy a carb kit for it and will give it a try.

Thanks

Matt

Old 02-08-06, 11:16 AM
if it never had fuel in it, the air filter fell apart....well that got sucked in, and bugs love to get into everywhere they can, if the filter was already torn open, had holes in it, etc. might have a bug or two in the carb.

Old 02-08-06, 01:39 PM
You may, then, have a corrosion issue, having been stored for so long. You might find flaky residue on the components inside the bowl of the carburetor. This, if so, would be as a result of temperature fluctuations where the unit was stored thereby creating condensation inside the carb.

Old 02-09-06, 07:06 AM
Well I put a new diaphragm in it last night and blew all the passages out with carb cleaner and air and it seems to be running real good now. Thank you for all of the response.

Matt

Old 02-09-06, 07:39 AM
Sorry, I knew it was a diaphragm type carburetor. Disregard the reference to the bowl. But anyhow, glad you got it running well.

Search this Thread